1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Way To Go Newsweek

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coot, May 15, 2005.

1. ravital

ravital Banned

Have you lived in America in the last 30 years? :):):):):):)

In this culture, opposition to authority is an automatic mark of superior morals, let alone a superior intellect to boot. It doesn't matter who's in office, demonstrating on the streets, flipping a bird at anyone in uniform, tossing invectives and dog feces at cops - all of these contribute to recognition by your peers as a "cool" human being.

And since it's obvious that the people that the press refers to as "insurgents" in Iraq are not marching down the streets singing Kumbaya, but killing and maiming anything that moves with live ammo and explosives, the connection to violent resistance to occupation should be fairly obvious.

Don't know about anyone else, but I read English in the same direction every day. :):):):):):)

2. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

I think that "belligerent" in this dictionary definition (where it's used as a noun, not an adjective) means "one engaged in war" --in other words, an official member of a legitimate fighting force.

I think that by the strict dictionary definition, "insurgent" is completely accurate. Connotations, of course, are a completely different matter--and are not exhausted (or even included) by dictionary definitions. "Terrorist" has different connotations, naturally--and more accurate ones in this instance, perhaps.
    (EDIT--make that "certainly" instead of "perhaps."!)

3. ravital

ravital Banned

Thank you Joe, and thank you SM for the point about "romanticizing and maybe exonerating" these groups, you're certainly more generous and polite than they deserve.

4. Greg

Greg Full Member

Hell no! I was born in America and lived there until about 30 years ago. Then one night while I was asleep some evil force came in and replaced America with a sham America, one not owned by the citizens but rather by Big Business, one where the government is no longer elected by the populace, one that has might but is no longer great.

Okay, I'm off topic and in rant/soapbox mode. Enough.

5. ravital

ravital Banned

Sorry, just ribbin' you a bit. No offense intended :cool:

6. Greg

Greg Full Member

I've been apologized to 3-4 times here lately, yet I've never taken offense to a single thing I've ever seen on GA. :) Don't worry, I've got a thick skin and don't as a rule flame back even when I perceive a flame. It's great debating with you all -- let's get back to the show! :) :) :)

p.s. I'm even enjoying debating with the people who are wrong and/or misinformed! ;) ;) ;)

7. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

I was thinking about this incident this weekend. This isn't the first time one of these types of magazines have put our people in jeopardy.

Remember the propaganda shot of the crew of the Pueblo? They were flashing the "Hawaiian good luck sign". The North Koreans didn't have a clue what it was until Time published the picture.

If I remember right, the crew was beaten severely for that.

8. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yep..

http://www.psywarrior.com/PuebloPrisoners.jpg

Strange, I've heard of it but never actually seen it until I did a search on it just now.

Most of the recent ones, (with Kerry and Billary in Iraq) the new trend seems to be flying it at "half-staff" :lol:

9. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Sadly, it's not the last time either.

If you are al Qaeda, and you are interested in interdicting or attacking CIA air services that transport captured high value targets, how would you go about finding out how the CIA is moving these prisoners around? Would you:

* a) Attempt to penetrate the CIA and dig into the inner workings of these operations.
    * b) Invest heavily in paying off workers at local airports and in charter airlines across the Middle East and Asia to provide intelligence on suspicious flight activities.
    * c) Read the New York Times.

If you answered "c", you are correct. Today's New York Times provides intimate detail on the charter flights used by the CIA to ferry prisoners across the globe. The names of the charter companies are disclosed. The types of aircraft flown are revealed. The points of departure and destinations of these flights are stated. There is even a picture of one of the charter craft, with the identification number of the aircraft in full display.​

10. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I've mentioned before that Arabs hardly need excuse for rioting against the US, or Jews (their favorite enemy).

[<a href="http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/religion/stories/052805dnrelDN-zion.f114c29a.html">Case in point</a>]:

[bl]Even some Muslim leaders publicly acknowledge that The Protocols is a fake. But the truth is that many fans of the book's message simply don't care whether it's an actual record of an actual meeting.

Hitler addressed that issue more than 60 years ago. Even if untrue, The Protocols is real, he wrote:

"The important thing is that with positively terrifying certainty they reveal the nature and activity of the Jewish people and expose their inner contexts as well as their ultimate final aims."[/bl]

11. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Well for what's it's worth, the <a href="http://rdu.news14.com/content/headlines/?ArID=70289&SecID=2">Pentagon has confirmed the Quran was mishandled</a> however nothing about toilets were mentioned, although I'm not sure urine on it is any better.

12. Coot

Oh my, the hypocrisy, the hypocrisy.

13. Techie2000

Interesting link Coot, although it was my understanding that most of the detainees at Gitmo heiled from either Iraq or Afghanistan...

14. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

OMG!

This is not aimed at you Techie because your link, perhaps deliberately by the AP, has left out a little context. Funny how that happens. The full story is a bit more non-sensational.

In the incident involving urine, which took place this past March, Southern Command said a guard left his post and urinated near an air vent and "the wind blew his urine through the vent" and into a cell block.

It said a detainee told guards the urine "splashed on him and his Koran." The statement said the detainee was given a new prison uniform and Koran, and that the guard was reprimanded and given duty in which he had no contact with prisoners.

Watch how the MSM starts playing this into the biggest human rights violation in the history of recorded humanity.

15. Coot

There are a significant number of saudis and yemenis there as well, all of which isn't terribly important. Aside from the riots in Afghanistan and Pakistan, the Saudis were seriously 'offended' at the newsweak initial reports.

I'll see if I can find you the link to the story about saudi riot police desecrating korans as well, when trying to put down pro democracy demonstrations.

This whole pissing on the koran, or kicking it or anything else to do with it is turning into a big yawn. It is total hypocrisy on the part of anyone wanting to make political hay out of it. I can now officially care less is they flush it, piss on it, or wipe their ass with it. Until we start holding these other nimrods to exactly the same standards they expect to hold us to, I'm done worrying about it...it's officially a big zero.

16. Techie2000

I don't blame you for that Coot, and aren't the Saudis supposed to be our friends and allies? Well as they say, with friends like that...