1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Way To Go Newsweek

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coot, May 15, 2005.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Anyone who believes Newsweek just reports the news should buy that nice bridge in Brooklyn that I heard was for sale.

Newsweek is one big editorial, it always has been.
  2. deltat2000

deltat2000 Veteran Member

No, Ethics...it wouldn't have been okay with anyones flag, but I can only speak for myself!
    But...I have served under that flag for 19 years....in several war zones, my flag should never be treated like that...I will make it my mission to get some satisfaction for this..I will contact every organization I can think of to exert whatever pressure is available to get a retarction, and an apology for this...and if its possible...to squeeze their pocketbooks till they go into bankruptcy!
  3. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I'd seriously doubt this thread would even exist had it been a Russian flag or even a *cough* French flag for that matter.

Delta, you certainly have your work cut out for you. How soon will be seeing ads on TV paid for by the Delta2000 Veterins for fair and responsible journalism?

....that last paragraph was meant to be humorous by the way. :thumbsup:
  4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I appreciate your integrity and I can not pursuade you to look the other way--nor would I want.

Again, this whole thread, a large portion of it, displays frustration by the people who have had enough hypocrisy.

They are tired of trying to understand THEM while THEM don't want to understand us. We heard all kinds of statements on Koran, how it's much much more than the Bible.

Did anyone bother (in America) to research what the flag means to veterans like deltat? Of course not, they simply don't care.

So while Deltat's response is emotional, the biggest part of that emotion has to do with the fact that he feels spat upon and not just via the flag picture. (if I am wrong, please correct me).
  5. deltat2000

You can expect to see some movement on this as soon as you get off your dead ass and help out...start by boycotting every one of the Companies I mentioned!

If you want a list of phone numbers to call....let me know....I am building up quite a list of numbers here...then statr dialing!

And of course, everything I said is meant to be humorous by the way!......NOT!

I have already contacted the Washington Post Company, Newsweek, my congress persons...and I am dialing every veterans organization I can think of.....and if anyone has any suggestions...I am more than willing to entertain them.....:vmad:
  6. ethics

The heat is on and Newsweek is doing something. Albeit, very little.

[bl]Newsweek magazine said it will institute stricter guidelines on the use of unnamed sources in its pages following last week's retraction of a story alleging that U.S. interrogators desecrated the Quran at the Guantanamo Bay detention center in Cuba.

In a letter to readers in the magazine's latest issue published today, Richard M. Smith, Newsweek's chairman and editor in chief, promises that "the cryptic phrase 'sources said' will never again be the sole attribution for a story in Newsweek." The new sourcing guidelines as outlined in Mr. Smith's letter set more stringent standards for how and why unnamed sources are cited, but doesn't abolish them.

Separately, in an interview yesterday, Mr. Smith said no writers or editors at Newsweek would lose their jobs over the Quran report.

"That is always a tough call," he said. "I understand the impulse for people to call for heads to roll, but wishing that we had done some things different and finding that we need to tighten up on the policy isn't the same as finding unprincipled, unethical or unprofessional behavior."

The May 1 article by reporters Michael Isikoff and John Barry relied on a single source who told the magazine a forthcoming report by the U.S. Southern Command in Miami would show that interrogators at Gitmo had flushed a Quran down a toilet to agitate prisoners. Protestors in the Middle East seized on the detail, which is believed to have contributed to as many as 17 riot-related deaths in Afghanistan.

Two weeks after the story was published, Pentagon spokesman Lawrence Di Rita contacted the magazine, which is owned by Washington Post Co., to demand a retraction. In last week's issue of Newsweek, editor Mark Whitaker apologized for the story. As both the Pentagon and the White House criticized the magazine, Mr. Whitaker formally retracted the story in a statement on May 16.

Mr. Smith said the magazine failed to properly confirm the Quran item, relying on a senior Defense Department official to tell the reporters whether it was true. In his letter, Mr. Smith said, "we mistakenly took the official's silence for confirmation."[/bl]
  7. deltat2000

Had one of my Marines done this....I would have broken his back! And taken the punishment the UCMJ would have given me for it!

Your goddam right I feel spat upon....and I intend to devote whatever time it takes to get some satifaction!

Some of the smartasses here can make whatever humor out of this they can find....but you have absolutely no idea how tight our veterans groups are, nor can you even begin to imagine how motivated we can be when you have turned us against you! The German's gave us the nickname "DevilDogs".....and it wasn't because we were puppies!
    It was the jarheads at Gitmo they accused to trashing the Koran....Newsweek would have loved to single one of us out as a target......we have our targets...their names and addresses are all over the internet...we can find them....we can find their cell numbers....they WILL hear from us!......You can take that to the :friggin: bank!
  8. ethics

I appreciate your passion, but this forum (not unlike US Marines) have rules. Thou shall not attack other members of this board. ;)
  9. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I just can't get that passionate about what some Japanese-owned company does with a flag image. It's probably photoshopped, anyway. We kicked their butts once before, they know where the line is ;)
  10. deltat2000

I'm not attacking any member of this forum, my target is Newsweek, and the Washington Post Co.....

You know me Ethic's...I am not a child, we've spoken on the phone, my wife and I offered you our friendship, and help..I am not just some cyber-shithead to you....in the same principle that I offered friendship to you....I make this vow......You cannot treat my flag that way, and get away with it!....Not in front of me!

I am not directing any anger at you, nor do I suggest that you have no respect for the flag...my point is that I freely gave you friendship...thats the kind of people my wife and I are....but there are limits to my tolerance, and patience. I went thru all this same bullshit as a young man returning from RVN, I'll not allow it to happen again....and God help the asswipe that thinks this is going to pass! I have spent most of the afternoon on the phone...1st with the idiot Rima @ newsweek..she couldn't understand why this justified my calling her cell phone, then people at the Washington Post, some of whom I promised not publish their numbers, then Henry Hydes office....I have sent them a copy of the Newsweek frontpage...along with translation...then Judy Biggerts office...sent the same image.... I am a Solution Provider Partner with Microsoft...and I will spend tomorrow trying to speak directly to Bill, or Melinda Gates, as my continued business relationship with them will depend on their answers to me! I ahve also spoken with several Marine Corps groups to spread the word...some as old as the Marine Raiders Assoc.....and you better believe we are old enough, and connected enough to apply some pressure!

I have served thruout the world, and you can bet your ass...if we treated another countries flag like this....we'de be sitting in a brig cell awaiting charges! I wouldn't have tolerated this from anyone! Even when we took an NVA flag...we didn't treat it like that!

Our colors and standards are treated with respect and dignity, we have always been taught to treat every nations colors with the same respect and dignity! To say that if it was a Russian Flag or whatever ...that this thread wouldn't have happen is bullsh*t! Your of Russian decent Ethic's...I wouldn't have treated your flag this way! And I would have told you that anyone who did was an asshole!

Semper Fi, Ethic's...go in peace
  11. ethics

Hehe, my flag is American, has been since the say I was born. It just took me 12 years to be re-united with it.

All I am saying is, relax, passion is good, just don't assume (and I am not saying you are) that if someone questions your stance they are your enemy. :)
  12. deltat2000

I didn't say you were my enemy Ethic's...and your not!
    But I know who are......and they can :kissmy: !

And The Washington Post Company just made the top of my hitlist! And they haven't got a clue what perseverance an old jarhead can have!
  13. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

While I respect your opinion and intense emotional involvement...I'll not participate in a flame war....but I can assure you, sir, my ass is not dead.

Leon summed it up nicely as usual.
    However, I fear this is yet another topic that will create an even greater divide in the political fabric of our nation.
  14. deltat2000

Its not creating a divide....Newsweek is capitalizing on it, and prolonging it!
  15. ravital

ravital Banned

That's the strange part, isn't it? I can remember when weekly magazines were about analysis and nothing but. They never would have involved themselves with the scoop, so to speak, with the "look what we got that no one else got" kind of joutrnalism, that was the exclusive province of the daily papers.

Times have changed evidently, and now it's just about another buck, nothing else.

And if anyone thinks that people who call themselves journalists, today, derive no pleasure from yet one more opportunity to pounce on the military, I'll be selling the same bridge you mentioned. A chance for another "Kent State" only with no casualties? Are you kidding? Who could pass that up? Only this time, they didn't figure they would be, themselves the catalyst, if not the cause, for the loss of life.
  16. deltat2000

Tomorrow the will be a meeting of the House Judiciary Committe regarding this, apparently there is a law on the books regarding the desecration of the US flag,

I have been told that they are considering imposing the full penalty for this offense, I am also told they are considering an ammendment to prevent, or punish future instances of this offense.

Since yesterday I have called several members of the Board of Directors at the Washington Post Company to express my disgust with Newsweek, I have promised not to publish their internal phone numbers until they have a chance to reveiw the situation, and I am awaiting a call from the CEO of The Washington Post Co.

Semper Fi
  17. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

At great risk of taking this thread way off topic....

SCOTUS has already ruled that burning the flag is a Constitutionally protected form of political expression. I'll lay odds that this "picture" ends up before SCOTUS as well, and they'll say the same thing.

And I've said this before. I spent 20 years defending people's right to protest and say what they want. As much as I hate seeing the flag burned, I'd spend another 20 years defending people's right to do it. That's the difference between our country and many others, and I kinda like it that way.
  18. deltat2000

Watch the show tomorrow Biker, their talking about tighening up that law!

Scheduled events for dates
    5/25/2005 - 5/25/2005 <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD width=300>
    </TD></TR><TR><TD>Wednesday 05/25/2005 - 10:00 AM
    2141 Rayburn House Office Building
    Full Committee
    Full Committee Markup of: H.R. 800, H.R. 420, H.R. 554, and H.J. Res. 10.
    Continue (from May 18, 2005 and April 20, 2005) markup of H.R. 800, the "Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act"; markup of H.R. 420, the "Lawsuit Abuse Reduction Act of 2005"; H.R. 554, the "Personal Responsibility in Food Consumption Act"; and H.J. Res. 10, "Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States Authorizing the Congress to Prohibit the Physical Desecration of the Flag of the United States." </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  19. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Won't happen. This is political grandstanding just like the same sex marriage proposal was.
  20. deltat2000

We can only hope it is an authentic attempt to protect our flag....if it isn't, then I'll continue to lobby for it until it happens!

Semper Fi, Biker :cool: