1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wartime Leadership

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ShinyTop, Apr 4, 2015.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I have just finished The Yom Kippur War, an riveting book. In the past year I have also read books about American generals in the Pacific and Europe during WWII. I am left with two primary but conflicting impressions.

1. I am appalled at the number of senior leaders who are incompetent vanity driven prima donnas. Yes, some are competent vanity driven prima donnas. Senior commanders hands are often tied by the reputations of these generals. The best senior commanders kept tight hold on them only releasing them when their drive and competency would benefit the war effort.

2. I am grateful for the majority of commanding generals who were brilliant but recognized the good of operating withing the overall plan.

In my military experience with incompetent leaders I often thought they would not last past the opening shots of a war. I am not so positive in my outlook anymore.

ethics likes this.
  2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I am appalled at the number of senior leaders who are incompetent vanity driven prima donnas.

Thanks for that post. This one on top was a big shocker for me for decades after reading WWI experiences of French, Belgium, and German generals. The appalling battles of Gallipoli, Marnes (1st battle), Verdun, Somme, and the "Hundred Days Offensive" convinced me that generals are politicians first, everything else second. Too bad it took millions of lives -- and the most horrific deaths under the most horrific conditions, for people to see this.

Btw, if you want the best feel and what happened in WWI Hardcore History | Global Affairs

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I have begun that journey on Hardcore History thanks to your thread. I read more than listen maybe because I can read faster than most podcasts speak. I got sidetracked by the six day war and the Yom Kippur War but intend to continue with Hardcore History.

ethics likes this.
  4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Let me know what you think of it. I am done with 5th one, not sure if there will be a 6th but so far the 5th is my favorite (probably due to its heavy Russian centric coverage :)).