1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

War, Iraq, and Oil

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Some interesting reading...kind of dispells a lot of the movements about this war being for oil...

War, Iraq, and Oil

SM

2. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

Mr. Bush says oil is not a factor. He said it, so it has to be true.

:beer: :nut: :beer:

3. jamming

jamming Banned

Well now that he will have the Senate and Congress then Anwar is a cinch to open, would could have more offshore drilling. The whole issue that we will need oil becomes less problematic.

4. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Thinking beyond the box...

The consequences of a War with Iraq does have myriad amounts of effects.

If the Americans and British go it alone, than France and Russia would have less leverage in the vast Oil Reserves Iraq contains.

No, the war is not about the oil, but to think this question does not tie in to the consequences would certainly be myopic.

If the war is successful, then an occupying force would be subject to reprisals from the arab community.

We all know that a puppet government can be set up that would be favorable to the US. We did that in Iran with the Shah.
    The long term consequences has resulted in the clerics rule there.

Rebuilding that country's infrastructure, and stimulating the capitalistic society, can truly show the Arab world the power that can be possible with the melding of western technology to the Islam way of life and possibly be a template of what can be possible for each Arab country.

While this can be a possible scenario, the radical clerics will once again scream "SATAN".

I am not proposing anything here, nor am I making any predictions. Nor am I saying these are the only possibilities.
    I find it fascinating to speculate beyond the present near-sighted and immediate prospect of the war itself, to a vision of the possible long-term outlook.

I would be curious to see other possibilities or speculations from the other members on this site concerning this topic.

It would necessitate using some brain cells and looking at the world in a wide angle vision.

Any takers???

5. immortal one

Iraq is the country with the second largest oil reserves on the planet, and it's not about oil?

Maybe not <B>all</B> about oil, but you can bet oil figures as a very large factor in the equation. The energy moguls and their minions presently in power are drooling like babies at just the thought of the trillions of dollars worth of oil and gas reserves in Iraq.

If Iraq's main export were rutabaga, we wouldn't give them a second look...Saddam or no Saddam.

6. jamming

jamming Banned

Well the main issue is not so much Iraq's reserves, but that Iraq threatens the supply of oil from those with the largest reserves.

7. immortal one

Good point.

...or, Iraq threatens the supply of oil for those with the largest apetite.

8. jamming

jamming Banned

I get a little cranky myself if someone tries to eat my hamburger I bought and paid for. ;)