1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want Fries With That Slump?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Nov 7, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

They haven't had a really successful new product or many marketing successes in more than a decade. The brand has been moving ever so slowly and quietly toward oblivion for years.

<a href="http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/interviews/ba2000-12-14.htm">Fast Food Nation fans</a> will be delighted at the news: <a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20021105/ap_wo_en_fe/fea_us_not_so_golden_arches">McDonald's is suffering its worst slump ever</a>.

Are consumers finally getting bored with its offerings? Or have its competitors finally found its Arch-illes Heel (get it?)?

I have to say that Ronald doesn't seem to be giving up easily, though: in Singapore the Golden Arches have regularly introduced new products, with McSpaghetti being the latest.

Despite this kind of, uh, innovation, McDonald's stock has lost 70% of its value since 1998, and the chain is running out of room to expand.

Is it just McDees, or will other fast food joints to follow?
  2. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

Perhaps it is due to the McUnknownChickenPieces... :nut:

BDD... :{)
  3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

McDonald's took a HUGE hit in Japan, what with their mad cow disease outbreak...even though they get their beef from Oz.

Hadn't been aware of the McSpaghetti, but in Singapore, I never go to the fast food joints. I'm usually lying on the bar at Raffles.

4. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I don't go to Mickey D's that much anymore. It's Roy Roger's and Wendy's here...
  5. ethics

If I had to pick a fast food place, it would definitely be Wendys. I don't know what they do different but the food just seems to taste better, fresher. Or am I dreaming?

Anyone work in a fast food place want to share what goes on in the BACK?
  6. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

What happens when the zillion young kids get retrenched?

Just how many get their first work experience in Maccas and go on to bigger and better things in other industries after getting a good report from the local store.

The CEO of McDonalds Australia started work flipping burgers after school.

7. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

For the best tasting hamburges I go to Wendy's or Whataburger. Of the chains the best tasting is BK but McDonalds gets my call when I need the best burger to eat while driving, probably why it is not the best tasting. It does not spill makings on you while you drive.

I gave up on Hardy's a couple years ago. Everyone of them in my area began smelling like urinals. Enough is enough.
  8. ethics

John, excellent point on the job market. The WSJ had a front page sotry a few days ago about kids out of jobs and needing money to pay their college/school tuitions.

Shiny, Whataburger must be a FLA thing, no? Never even heard of it.
  9. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

It is mainly in the SE. So good tasting you can taste it hours later!
  10. ethics

You talking about "picking up hitchhikers when you burp"?

I am not sure if that's a good thing! ;)
  11. Sierra Mike

Whataburger is a Texas institution. I tell my mother I go back to Corpus Christi just to see her, but what the hell, I'm actually doing it to eat some Whataburger!

Leon, I'll have you know that in my freshman year in college, I worked at Wendy's. I wouldn't eat there, myself.

SM (who once put Ex-Lax in the Frosty machine)
  12. ethics

Aw crap! I was fantasizing that Wendys was immune from child pranks!

Bastard. ;)
  13. Domh

Domh Full Member

Burger King does have one secret weapon.

Grilling and LIQUID SMOKE baby. mmmmmm...!

Besides, they were willing to put up the money to hire the Simpsons. That shows heart.

14. Sierra Mike

Tee-hee. rest assured, if there's an institution I can fuck up, I will.

15. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

16. Sierra Mike

No shit! You know, this actually makes me kinda sad!

17. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

"McDonald's to close 175 stores."

I simply cannot understand the antagonism both here and in the US towards McDonalds and other 'fast food' chains.

Eating plastic-burgers & fries is NOT compulsory and the customers deserve everything they get if they do it too often. Now, as I pointed out earlier, we will see 3/5,000 young people out of a job in the first years of their early adulthood. The franchisees will lose their income and spending power in the community and society will suffer directly and indirectly.

Whatever happened to good old American 'Free Enterprise' and 'Freedom of Choice'??

18. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

I agree with you, I just posted today's story about McDonald's cutting back. McDonald's is cutting back in the interests of their corporate bottom line. McDonald's would rather try to serve up a higher share price than decent food.
  19. ethics

I don't have any animosities toward McDees. I treat them the way I treat the rest of the large coporations when I berate them. ;)
  20. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

Sorry guys, but I haven't been in a McDonalds--or any other burger joint for that matter--since dinosaurs roamed the earth. For me it's Koo Koo Roo (chicken), California Pizza Kitchen, California Wok, Rubio's (fish tacos), or Baja Fresh. Then again, you already knew it was a different world out here in "shake and bake", didn't you? ;)