1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walmart, Police, and Taxpayers

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Aug 19, 2016.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I read that a few months ago.

A couple of things stood out. Many security companies are now telling their employees to take a hands off approach when dealing with anyone suspected of breaking the law. They're told to observe, record and call the police. Only in an emergency are security personnel allowed to confront anyone.

The reason for this is two-fold. First, most of these guys are paid minimum wage and are unarmed. They don't have the training to deal with someone who's dead bent on stealing something. Second, and this one's the primary reason. The security company doesn't want to deal with lawsuits arising from one of the security personnel detaining someone, especially if force was used. Most security guards are eye candy at this point and are meant as a visual deterent. And this is usually specified in the contract between the business and security company. Lord help you if you do anything that's outside the contract, or do something that's in direct opposition of what the contract specifies.

When I worked security in Toronto many moons ago, the company I worked for was pretty darned good. And depending on the job you were tasked to do, provided training for unsavory situations. Before I left in 2005, I was licensed to carry a baton, hand cuffs, and wear body armor. It's rare to find that in the US, unless you're working for someone like Brinks and driving an armored vehicle.

If the bean counters actually stopped to think about it, the cost of hiring fully trained (and armed) security would still be cheaper than the amount of pilferage that occurs in the stores. But you get a better bottom line to hire out to a cheap security company and absorb the losses in the store.

Allene and ethics like this.
  3. Biker

I interviewed with Wal Mart a couple of days ago for an Asset Protection position and had a rather interesting conversation with the manager regarding shoplifters and company policy.

The lawsuit angle is the over riding cause as to why law enforcement is called on store incidents including shoplifting. Apparently, there are now "professionals" who will attempt to walk out the store with an item without paying for it. This isn't an attempt to steal something, it's an attempt to get a store employee to touch them so they can turn around and sue.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

Wow! I hope those lawsuits aren't taken seriously!

5. Biker

They are. And because company policy is not to use force in any way on a "normal" shoplifting incident, the chances of the cretin winning a lawsuit like that is better than one would think. Especially in areas where Wal Mart is viewed as the "bad guy", rather than the moron who was stealing to begin with.

6. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Back in the early 90s, a guy I had served with in the Army was working loss prevention at a Meijer department store. He trailed a shoplifter out of the store, ended up body-slamming the guy and breaking the guy's back. Chris lost his job, and Meijer paid big bucks on that one.

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

How ironic! How frustrating! I just learned something new.