1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[W2K] Constant reboot after patches

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by cmhbob, Dec 20, 2006.

1. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

I applied 5 or 6 patches last night, and went to bed. This morning, the machine is in a reboot cycle. It never gets past the blue screen right before the desktop loads. That is, I get the DOS-like "Windows Loading" screen, then the Win2K splash screen with the loading indicator. When that goes away, the machine reboots.

I've tried all three Safe Modes, Last Known Good Config, and Debug mode, and they all fail at the same point.

Cross-posted at the MS help forum at that other site, too.
  2. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

3. Andy

The only thing off the top of my head right now, (having seen this myself a few times) not knowing what the error showing could be, is to try the fdisk /mbr trick or also see if this thread helps?

Another quick trial would be to remove any extra peripherals (sound, NIC, USB cards, etc) and see if it's a driver gone bad from the patches?
    1 person likes this.
  4. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

That thread was the basic trick. I had completely forgotten about the recovery console. I wasn't having the same issue as that thread, but it walked me through how to run the RC, and that machine is up and running now. Thanks!