1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voting up and down

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by joseftu, Jun 27, 2010.

1. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

I'm going on a little spree of voting posts up or down--only when I sincerely believe they deserve it. This seems to be a new feature in the new software, and it's fun, and I'm doing it mainly in the spirit of fun--ragging on people who need it, and patting on the back those who deserve that.

But does it mean anything? Should I be taking it more seriously? I'm finding it a good way to quickly express an opinion on a post without making an extended (unnecessary) comment. Is that a good use of this feature?
  2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

It's why it's there. No deeper meaning but I would wish people would do this not because they agree/disagree with the opinion, but how it was given.

• If I come in and flame someone in one sentence post, people shouldn't vote me UP because they agree with me. Down vote is appropriate though.
    • If I come in and post a professional, non-flaming manner, if you like the way the post was constructed and the way it has been put forth, vote UP is appropriate, whether you agree or disagree. Down vote is NOT appropriated if you merely disagree with the ideology.
  3. joseftu

Makes sense. I'll try to keep that as the criteria--it's for style/construction/expression, not content.
  4. Arc

Arc Full Member

I would never vote a post down under any circumstances. If I chose to vote a post up it always would be because of content and it would never have anything to do with who made the post. Even if someone who isn't on my Christmas Card list made what I felt was an excellent post it would get a vote up.
    1 person likes this.
  5. joseftu

Voted up for the Christmas card list.

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

:holyshit: Good thing I have that feature turned off on mine!
    1 person likes this.
  7. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

You do? :D 

This software doesn't give users the ability to turn rep off.  I can turn it off, but it's site wide. All or nothing. 
  8. Allene

Allene Registered User

Holy mackerel! :chickenlittle: I'll just ignore it then, until the next upgrade when YOU will fix this oversight for me! :D
    1 person likes this.
  9. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I've made the suggestion to the developers. Not sure they'll act on it, but there was quite the lively discussion of it. **snicker**
  10. Allene

Allene Registered User

I bet there was! ;)