1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voted, And...

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Sierra Mike, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

...wrote in "the ghost of Ronald Reagan" for my state's senate representative, since the GOP incumbent is a gun-grabber and the Dem challenger is a tax + spend = FREE MONEY type.

Curiously, the picketers for Danny Malloy, current Dem governor, were within 75 feet of the voting area. I pointed this out to one of the cops, who just shrugged. If it had been Foley's poeple, I'm sure folks would have been all over them. Such is life living in the blue states.

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

They really need to start issuing clothes pins at voting stations. That'll alleviate the need to hold your nose and allow you to vote quicker to get out of there.

3. Sierra Mike

Here in CT, they already know that Malloy is corrupt, so of course, they don't want Foley to win the gubernatorial election. He might, just might, be a pretty decent guy.

I had one friend castigate me for supporting Foley who he described as a rich fat cat with a yacht. When I asked her what it was about Dickie Blumenthal she found so appealing, she said he was an honest man of modest means. When I pointed out to her that he lied about being an active duty Marine in Vietnam and that he's worth $125 million that he didn't even earn himself--he married into the cash--she almost had a spaz attack. I thought she was going to shit herself.

She then told me I don't know what I'm talking about and walked away in a huff when I pulled up an old CT Post article about Dickie's net worth. Ha-ha, suck it up.

4. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

Here in PA I was shocked to not only find lawn signs by the polls, but inside the polling place were two tables with people giving out information.
    Inside the polling room, one person took out her ID and the polling worker started to yell "put it back, I don't want to see it." And of course there was a sign forbidding the taking of pictures or recordings, just in case your Republican vote switched to a Democratic one.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Hi, I am registered still in NY and guess what? My vote meant shit.

6. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I honestly do not believe that any of our votes mean much any more. And as I get older and more active in local and state politics I'm convinced of that now more than ever. Maybe I'm just getting old and cynical but I've had enough folks close enough to the top of PA's political rung agree with me that I can't see it any other way. Money rules. Plain and simple.

ethics likes this.
  7. Sir Joseph

PA does lead the nation in corruption, IIRC, it scored higher than NJ which was impressive. FWIW, at least in this election, Wolf didn't give out street money to the local Democratic handlers in Philly.

8. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Wow. I had no idea. Missed this one entirely. But it's true.

I am directly involved in two of those three areas. Corruption is rampant.

9. ethics

Reminded me of this brilliant piece (brilliant because it went against all the sheeple of "YOU HAVE TO VOTE")

I love McArdle, she is an economist and one of the most intelligent people out there.

Five Good Reasons Not to Vote - Bloomberg View

10. Sir Joseph

Then again I met a member of some local assembly at my polling place who won by two votes.

11. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Mork & Mindy reruns are currently being aired?

12. Sierra Mike

Well, my man Foley's two thousand votes and change behind the corrupt Malloy. Lots of districts haven't reported in yet, but the entitlement cities (Bridgeport, Stamford) all went heavy Malloy, while outlying towns and villages are going Foley. My town hasn't posted numbers yet, but I know Westport... they'll give Malloy a great big French kiss.

13. Greg

Greg Full Member

I guess you can understand why this California boy doesn't even bother to vote. Like, woah! A Republican Congressional candidate winning in California? I don't think so....

14. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Well, in my local elections, if I don't know the candidate, I vote R, because for the life of me, I can't think of any reason any sane and rational person would relate to the Democrat party.

Really. Everyone I personally know who is a diehard Democrat is a little throwed off. Sometimes more than a little.

15. Sierra Mike

Same here. But then and again, I'm the neighborhood psycho with an arsenal of fully automatic weapons who magically deploy a moat around my house and send out 10,000 Orcs to devour school children.

ETA: I'm fucking embarrassed to have been a Democrat for so long.

16. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you would have been registered and not a Dem in NJ, it wouldn't have meant shit here either.

17. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I actually had a close Senate race: Mark Warner (D) the incumbent against Gillespie (R).

Virginia overwhelmingly passed a very cool constitutional amendment:

Shall Section 6-A of Article X (Taxation and Finance) of the Constitution of Virginia be amended to allow the General Assembly to exempt from taxation the real property of the surviving spouse of any member of the armed forces of the United States who was killed in action, where the surviving spouse occupies the real property as his or her principal place of residence and has not remarried?

This is in addition to the current law that provides the same exemption to veterans with 100% disability.

18. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Do you know I told that to a Democrat house candidate in 2010?

It was a black female. It was at a 4th of July festival in Friendswood. She told me she disagreed with Obama on blah blah blah and all nonsense, and I told her I didn't believe her. I told her that she might say so, and she might even vote the way her constituents wanted her to vote part of the time, but I was certain that when the big vote came down, when we really needed her to represent us the most, that she would vote along with the rest of the D's. So no, she would not ever get my vote.

She seemed surprised someone would be so candid with her.

19. ethics

20. Sir Joseph

Here's a video of two guys in CT who were wearing CCDL T-Shirts who were told to turn it inside out or cover it. They declined, eventually the police was called and the cop eventually allowed them to vote. After watching the video, I am starting to start to really dislike police officers. First, he wanted the guy to turn off the video, then at the end, the guy said "please don't touch me, " to which the police responded, "I can touch you." Apparently, being pro-gun is now an evil in the US.