1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VISTA Discussion

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by jimeez, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Dewitt60

Dewitt60 Farming with technology

It all depends if you want a cheap laptop. If you go with 1 gig of ram you're phooked with Vista. Some people just use them for Excel,Word,email surfing etc. They buy them for less than $750 and if they're running Vista it's cool. If you want to do complicated stuff then you need to ramp up the spending or buy a Mac. I have XP and Vista and my Vista machine is not cheap. It sucks typical Gates trick sending out a sick dog hoping somebody picks it up and takes it to the vet. It constantly needs programs uninstalled and installed. Microsoft won't let me downgrade because I bought the home version. If I had the pro or student version I could. It's fine because it's our living room playtoy and my sis got me an awesome deal but I had visions of putting all of my GPS field mapping and yield info on it. I don't trust it. My combine constantly feeds info into it while I'm working and I can't afford a crash. I'm going to keep my old xp Dell. My sis got my oldest a laptop for graduation and ordered xp on it. He said most of his college chums only like Vista for gaming. FWIW

2. Arc

Arc Full Member

Just finished listening to a segment of "The Tech Guy" which is one of the shows of Leo Laporte the computer "expert" and commentator. If you don't all ready know of his background and reputation then not much point to read further...but if you are familiar with him....do go on!

In a very short version synopsis he said regarding Vista--as of one half hour ago...in so many words, you are better off for now sticking with XP "until MS forces Vista on you, and they will.." especially unless you have a very new computer AND very new perephereal devices such as printers and only use the newest applications...very new as less than three years old.

That is all.

3. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Not if you want to play Crysis. Downloaded the demo today for the hubby and OMG what directx 10 does is amazing!!! Getting it for my husband for Christmas and I wouldn't even dream of slapping it on the XP comp he usually uses. That baby has got to go on the Vista beast for full potential. Once again, people like Vista for different things. It's not for everyone, but it's great for gamers if you have the rig to run it full blown. ;)

4. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Well, my new laptop arrived with Vista 32-bit version installed.

It passed the most critical test: not only am I able to run WoW, I was able to simply copy the WoW folder from my XP machine to the laptop.

I have no qualms with Vista's look and feel. It's not that hard to "XP-ify" things that you want to mimic XP's UI.

The major annoyance is this Data Execution Prevention "feature." Certain programs that are supposed to to be DEP-compatible and run fine under Vista are still being stopped by DEP on my machine. The two big ones are Acrobat Reader 8.1.1 and the install program for Open Office.

I was able to install Star Office and I gave up on Adobe and installed Foxit.

5. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Hmmm....I can't remember how I got it to work. What version were you trying to install?

6. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

Odd, I'm running both Reader 8.1.1 and the current version of Open Office with no problem. They both installed fine.

7. SixofNine

I know, I've seen lots of posts like that in lots of forums. :)

8. mikeky

mikeky Member

I just go over a week long struggle trying to reinstall Vista after a major crash that saw it not boot anymore; that didn't install very much confidence with me.

9. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

10. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Got anything yet? ;)

11. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Bah, forgot all about this. Maybe this weekend.

12. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

:lol: You didn't think I was going to let you off the hook and forget about it, did you?

13. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

No, I really wanted to put something forth. Many misconceptions out there.:)

14. mikeky

mikeky Member

Things like this I think are the most frustrating with Vista. My system with Vista was averaging about 40 Mbps between an XP system and itself, but on a server dropped down to 25 Mbps and finally to 4 Mbps. The hotfix worked wonders, now at 90 Mbps, but just another annoyance that had to be traced down and dealt with.

15. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Ok...still waiting.

Vista SP1 is supposedly going to be available today via Windows Update. Who knows hoe reliable the is the source. I haven't seen anything yet, but here is a list of programs that won't work with it.

16. Twingo

Twingo Registered User

I'm using vista and love it... its just a matter of the pc its running on. I wouldn't run it on a machine with marginal performance, but if you have a high end machine then the glitter and the glam doesn't pull too much resources to notice. I haven't had any problems with vista, and once configured and tweaked to your liking there isn't inconvienience by using it. Its basically XP + better interface + (in theory) better security.

I wouldn't pay to upgrade an old machine, but there is no reason to go with XP on a new machine... unless you're buying a super cheap web/email/doc box.

17. SixofNine

You can download it now or wait until it hits Windows Update in mid-April.

18. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member