1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VISTA Discussion

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by jimeez, Dec 7, 2006.

1. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I went back to XP tonight. Couldn't be happier. I forgot how smoothly my machine could run.
    *whew*

It was neat while it lasted, but my final assessment is that Vista was not worth the effort. Thankfully I did not have any $$ invested in it.

2. Arc

Arc Full Member

The above point is one that is a very meritorius theory or concept that may well prove to be true--even if it is indirectly through a replacement for Vista that is marketed as a new "upgrade" as opposed to a replacement OS by MS.

Vista solely in the context of what they poured into its development in time* and money is a bonifide flop. A flop is not the same as bad. But sure as heck also is not the same as good.

*Five friggin years and this is what they could only come up with: an OS that most major mainstream PC type sites or sources say "hey its not that much better than XP and NOT worth the upgrade right now except in limited cases. An OS where major computer players like Dell still offer XP in their highest performing machines with Vista as an alternative choice.

3. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Definitely a flop. While it is not a horrible OS...by itself and not compared to XP it is not horrible....it is, however, not an improvement. And for my money, I want improved functionality and performance in an OS.

4. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Gaming now suffering

One observation post Vista dump. My gaming performance has decreased. While all other functions perform remarkably better under XP, one area that does not perform as well is my gaming; specifically WoW. I made several observations when I switched to Vista about improved game performance that I posted here at GA. Now that I have switched back to XP, I am convinced that Vista is a superior OS for gaming.

It takes the game twice as long to load under XP. This is not an exaggeration. I timed it. Also, the video performance under Vista was much better IMO. Same machine: same vid card, same processor, same memory, same everything. The video under XP is choppier, harsher, and not as vibrant. I don't know how else to explain it.

Wow aside, I am pleased with my decision to switch back. The time investment was worth it. I do miss the feel and appearance of Vista, but the performance decrease was not worth it for me. We'll see what M$ does in the future.

Frankly, if game makers would start supporting Linux, I'd say adios to M$ for good.

5. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

And this is why Vista actually is a great os. There's a lot of gaming or motion graphics going on in computer tech these days, and that improvement in an os was needed, along with the future capability, like directx10.

All the tests I've run at pcpitstop show just how much more fast Vista is compared to my other XP boxes.

I'm still loving Vista. It's still the fastest for anything, when I use my Vista rig.

6. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

But what about simple things, Vi? Like dragging and dropping files from one folder to another? You're telling me that that action runs faster on your Vista rig than an XP rig?

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I wanted to address this to you before. There is a WEALTH of reasons why VISTA is better than XP, James. I will try to get in to it this week.

8. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I look forward to reading your input.

9. Violet1966

Everything is faster on my Vista rig. I am having no problems or complaints with it and the thing flies when I do anything on it. Burns faster, transfers faster. Everything. I saw no slowness at all when I slapped my Vista on it when it finally arrived. It came with XP media center edition on it and slapped Vista on and it seemed much faster to me. When I boot up my xp machines, I want to scream because I have to wait so long. Then see desktop and have to wait for firewall and av. Those same progs on Vista are instant on. I have a beast of a Vista comp though, so maybe that has a lot to do with it? 4 gigs of high performance ram and everything was top of the line. Raptor 10,000 rpm hd too. It might have a lot to do with it?

10. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

Sounds equivalent to my machine, and I'm also of the opinion that Vista is better than XP for those same reasons.

Granted, it is a memory hog, but anyone that seriously runs Linux and understands it will tell you that there's absolutely nothing wrong with being a memory hog: Linux is a memory hog after a couple days of constant use too cuz both operating systems have similar behavior with regards to disk caching. Much of that memory being "wasted" is what makes the OS faster, as frequent disk accesses are just read once and cached in RAM rather than having to be read by the disk again. XP does this, just not as well. Vista's SuperFetch actively gauges what files are most frequently accessed, and preemptively reads that stuff into memory while the system is idle. So yeah, on first boot, you'd have a bit more HD thrashing than with XP, but you load a program and much of it is already in memory.

11. Violet1966

I even run diskeeper full time to keep things defraged, and never any delay opening programs if it's doing it's thing. No thrashing either like I'd heard some people say about Vista. I think maxing out the memory helps things along a lot. And the fastest memory too, has to be doing something good for my comp. I even run dream files for wallpaper and the thing is just insanely fast. Scary fast. LOL

12. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

What do you consider to be maxing? 4G?

13. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

I've been running Vista since July with 2 gigs of RAM.

No problems. I like it!

Only two minor problems that I hope are fixed in the SP due next month:

1. It loses the printer that is shared on my wife's computer (also Vista) after I reboot my computer. I have to reinstall it.

2. The built-in decompression utility is very slow compared to the one in XP. My workaround was to just get Winzip.

Other than that it's working well for me.

14. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

MS fix the issue with Media Player taking 30+ seconds to switch from one song to the next? Had that problem w/my laptop when i had Vista on it and it was aggravating.

15. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

I don't know, I don't seem to have that problem on my desktop.

16. Violet1966

On my comp I could go 8 gigs, but due to price constrictions, I chose to go 1 gig sticks and max all slots out. Yeah 4 gigs here. LOL I don't know if there's even 2 gig sticks yet is there????

I've never had any delays with media player in Vista. I do playlists all the time while cleaning and stuff and never any delays. Maybe a sound card thing?

17. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Book Offer

Oh, BTW, if anyone is interested in this, let me know and I will make sure you get a copy.

18. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Would love one.

19. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

There are 2gig sticks available if you're doing DDR2. I have 2x2G in my system.

20. Violet1966

Then I probably thought it was cheaper for now to go with the 4 1 gigs but I bought the best 1 gigs when I got them. It's nice to be able to do 8 when it's needed. Hope it won't be for a while! ;)