1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VISTA Discussion

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by jimeez, Dec 7, 2006.

1. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Is anyone else running the full and final release of Vista? If so, I've got some questions and comments. I'd love for some company with which to bounce them around.
  2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I think you are the only one on GA. Myself, will wait for SP1 before I even THINK about running it. That's where much of the changes will occur, both internally and GUI wise.
  3. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I gotta tell you, I have had zero issues with the final RTM release (well, a few very minor ones). In comparrison to the previous BETAs, it's night and day. It's running smooth as silk. I am having a blast with it. I haven't been this excited about an OS since Windows '95. :lol: When I come to work and have to use XP now, it's seems so dull and boring. But anyway....

If any of you can get your hands on the latest full and final, I highly recommend giving it a try. WoW has never looked or run better on my machine. It loads in half the time now for some reason. The new DirectX 10 must be doing its job because the graphics look amazingly more .... more... I don't know, plushy? It's hard to explain, but it's changed the appearence of the game....for the better IMO.
  4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Which version did you get? I understand there are many.
  5. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Without having my machine in front of me, it's Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit.
  6. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

So what processor, memory and graphics card are you running? The stories I read are that Vista is pretty demanding and ideally will need 1gig of RAM and a 256 graphics card to run well.
  7. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Abit KN8 Ultra
    AMD Athalon 64 3500+
    2G DDR400 Kingston Value Ram
    ATI Radeon X850XT
  8. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

If I could get my hands on a copy I might be persuaded to load it onto my PC. But, none of my fellow IT'ers here at work have access to it.

If your PC can run it on those specs, I'd have no issue running it on mine.
  9. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Hey! Are you calling my PC a clunker? ;)

It runs very well on my machine too.
  10. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

LOL Nope, not calling your rig that at all :)

Here's what I'm running:

Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 mobo
    Intel Core 2 Duo 6400
    2GB A-Data DDR2 5300
    Radeon X1950 Pro

11. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Very nice! Very nice rig. With those specs, she'll run like a champ.

I have not noticed any of the lag or hesitation I have been reading about. I suspect the fact that I have 2G's of RAM helps a lot. It is a resource hog in comparrison to XP, but seems to settle down after its been up and running for a few minutes.

There is no doubt about it, you're going to need a decent video card to take full advantage of this OS. When we received the first BETA it here at the office, we had it running on a machine that had an older eVGA 6600 GS (not the GT) and the aero effects looked atrocious. A good vid card will be your best friend as far as the eye candy is concerned.

You guys want some screen shots? Probably enough available on the net as it is.
  12. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

I have been told to not run the 64 bit version as there are practically no drivers available for it yet.  Have you had any problems with drivers at all?
  13. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

No plans to EVER run it either at home or at work. I was talking with the CTO the other day, and he agreed with me, XP Pro will be our last microsoft operating system for desktops. in the future desktops will get linux.

Fact of the matter is there is no compelling reasons to get vista for the enterprise. It is like using WINME in the enterprise, no reason to do it when 98se worked fine (although I HATE 98SE and loved ME for various reasons, but think I am the only person on the planet that did)
  14. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Jim, other than visual effects, for which I couldn't care less especially in a corporate environment, what is about Vista that makes it better than XP?
  15. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Well, that's a difficult question. And as far as a corporate environment goes, I probably cannot answer your question as I have very little to do with administrating our network. I was chosen to get one of our 15 licenses because, next to the IT guys, I have the most computer knowledge...and that ain't sayin' much. ;)

As far as my personal home experience so far, other than what I have mentioned above about better gaming performance from World of Warcraft, the eye candy is quite appealing to me. The flow and feel of the OS (if there is such a thing) is so much more fluid and relaxing. It's hard to explain. The transition between different windows and the way the programs open and close has a whole new feel to it. It's just different. My apologies for my inability to put this into words.

Don't get me wrong. I am not telling you to go out and spend your money on Vista. If I had not been given a free legitimate license, I would not be using it. I wasn't even considering changing until the offer was made. But I am glad they did. I am having fun with it here at home. Nothing more. Our IT guys in the office are the ones struggling to make it work with new versions of Exchange, Office, and our other various software we use in our office (Accounting, Estimating, Project Management, etc..). I do not envy them.

I have not had the chance to really dig into the administration setup or dig into the meat of Vista yet. I have been doing more tinkering getting software to run than anything. The basic functions are very similar to XP. Most of the basic functions we're used to are all in the same basic locations. One of my favorite new addition is a search window right in the startup window. You can type just about anything in there and it will find it. From CMD to MSCONFIG to any program you want.

There is another really cool tool called the "Snipping Tool". You activate the snipping tool and you can grab a piece of any portion of your desktop and save it as a JPEG (or other image file) with two clicks of the mouse. No more PRNT SCRN and pasting into your image viewer. It does it automatically. It saves your selected area as an image file automatically.

I wish I had more to tell you right now, but I don't. I'll definitely keep posting as my experience continues.

As far as the 64-bit thing goes, I have not had any real problems so far. Vista came with all of the drivers I needed except for my sound card and it is a pretty old card. No big deal. I just switched over to my on-board sound.

The one big problem I am having right now is not being able to get Adobe installed. :banghead:
  16. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

64 bit is huge... but... you need apps to take advantage of that.
  17. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

directx 10 is the only thing i want it for.
  18. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Snipping tool is very cool--but it's not new to Vista. It was designed for the Tablet PC, and I've been using it on there for a long time. Excellent teaching tool.

Nice idea, though, to make it available for non-tablet PC's. That's an addition to Vista that I hadn't heard about, but very attractive!
  19. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Update on a new feature I just stumbled upon....which ties into this empty thread.

Full blown Windows Media Center comes with VISTA Ultimate. I just started playing around with it. I am going to pick up a COMCAST tuner card and see what I can do wit it.
  20. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

That makes you a smart man.

It seems like the corporate release has some pretty serious security issues, including a vulnerability that would allow user privileges to be raised without direct admin access and there's a nasty hole in IE7.