1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video: Police pepper-spray passive students

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Greg, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Arc

Arc Full Member

The claim was made by Fox News Host and Legal Analysts Megan Kelly appearing on the O'Reilly factor that aired about 1/2 hour ago. She was simply giving the legal analysis of the situation. Within the body of statements she made the claim the pepper spray was ordered by the chancellor. Her comment was not a "talking point" or emphasized, just part of a larger statement and the dialog between her and O'Reilly.

I have done a quick research and can find no direct charge or information to support that statement as being accurate. I viewed many of the recent MSM videos and reviewed multiple printed sources. None even address or ask the question who gave the order or made the decision to give the order or directly caused the pepper spraying to begin. Fracking stupid LSM! How is it even possible that wasn't one of the first questions asked and regardless of what order questions were asked how is it there is no report of anyone being asked that question or their response?

I must admit in my review I did find the chancellor as coming across as a flip flopper and sleazy in how she seemed to simply be changing her public attitude and statements to play to the masses to make her look good or at least not as bad as the mob wants her to look. And she is under heavy broad attack from all sides on this issue.

The best statement I came across was in todays newspaper of the Davis California:

(IMO color her gone.)

By the way, Megan Kelly is one of the very few legal analysts on any network that knows what the hell she is talking about. Most are wrong on all things they talk about half the time IMO. Kelly is IMO easily the best and a breath of fresh air for someone like me. But I can find nothing at this moment to support her statement.

Again, how can some not have asked, "Where and from who did the order to use the pepper spray come from? Or did the officers act on their own.?" I did find a statement in my search above that claimed the Campus Police Chief was on site at the time of the pepper spraying.

Of the many videos I saw of the chancellor being interviewed the one today by George Stephanopoulos was the best as he constantly interrupted her when she made clearly stupid or contradictory statements.
  2. Arc

Arc Full Member

1. Never though that I would see the day you would actually be reduced to rambling. I never said they used excessive force. You would know that if you weren't so paranoid and all ways playing the professional victim as a cop at the mercy of the evil and dangerous public. You position isn't even sad, its comical. Do you have you door locked and barricaded while you type with your guns next to you?

2. A destructive immature and unprofessional attitude that is one of the root causes of problems that police have.

3. What exactly have I illustrated? Be specific. If you can.
  3. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Nice, Arc. Insults and take it personal, whenever you can. I know I don't care to discuss with you any more whenever you start numbering stuff.
  4. Greg

Greg Full Member

Arc I applaud your several recent excellent analytic posts.

I don't see any way it would be productive to comment regarding your detractors. (Or, if anybody prefers, this is it.)
  5. Arc

Arc Full Member

I see you have what appears to be selective memory problems at times.

Rodney King: I strongly supported the police. In fact I wrote the best defense of their action I've seen anywhere. (Violence part of arrest caught on tape.)

Torrance or Ingelwood California cop accused of picking up non-resisting teenager and throwing him face down on the hood of the police car and then punching him in the face. Big trial. I supported the cop 100 percent. (Incident caught on tape.) Backed my position up with facts. Cop acquitted.

Activist Don Jackson who was allegedly harassed and stopped for being black in Long Beach by two cops and who then was "pushed" through a plate glass window by the cops. I supported the cops and backed up my position with facts. Cops acquitted. (Incident caught on tape.)

In other cases I have sided against the cops based upon the facts. And I all ways back up my opinion with facts and evidence. Unlike some other people.

At times when I criticize against the police in their actions I differentiate between a bad decision and or a training issue as opposed to misconduct to outright violent criminal action. I decide on the merits not on who the participants, parties, suspects or police are. Unlike you.

By Copzilla
    Stupid? That claim from a man that has none of the facts as explained in my post to Bob on the subject? Like he all you had to do was ask. Too late now I guess.

Of course you don't care to discuss it with me any more. You make great posts most of the time. One of the best posters on the boards anywhere. With one exception. You can dish it out but can't take it. You argue or debate a point with people who are unable to counter your statements where you have to defend by intelligent rebuttal. No as soon as you get someone who will in a debate take you on straight on and IMO equal or trump your position you commonly pick up your ball and leave the field in a huff. If you can't win you don't want to play. Like now. In fact I predicted your anticipated withdrawal yesterday and communicated it to someone.

You're outstanding human being and I believe in my heart an outstanding cop. A bedrock of quality that made GA. But as long as you think in terms of us, (cops) against them, (civilians) and cops are special and deserve certain considerations that non-cops don't you're police opinion position is frequently be rejected by many because of your bias.

The police have lots of enemies. But cops are all ways in the big picture and in the long run their own worst enemies.

What's really ironic is people like me are the cops best friends.
  6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Arc, totally agree with you on Megan Kelly. Not a big fan of Fox in general but there are some bright lights like Kelly and Cavuto. If that's all we have then it's just pontification on her part. I am not saying it can't happen, wouldn't surprise me, but wished it was something that happened. 

Copz, this "us vs. them" mentality is the root of the issue, imho. As Arc stated, we are the best supporters you have out there. No, we are not slobbering fools filled with adulation for cops but that's not what you want either. 
  7. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

It's been established that the chancellor wanted the protestors cleared...right? The LEOs on scene were ordered to clear the area. Is this not the case?

And the protestors ignored orders to disperse...has this also been substantiated? It seems like it has been.

So what recourse did the officers have?

And by the way...not that I'm an expert at applying pepper spray, but it seems to me that dispensing it at close range to your target pretty much minimizes other folks getting hit by the stuff. If that means it looks like the cops is spraying weed-killer, then so be it.

What if it comes back that the chancellor knew that pepper spray would be the application used to break up the protestors, and that she said that was fine as well?

EDIT TO ADD: Link to a study on the effects of pepper spray. In the interests of disclosure, the results are described as limited in some cases due to trial issues.

8. ethics

You'd have to read through 6 pages of posts, unfortunately. Cuff and physically move the bunch. I think there's like 8 of them? Not exactly a mob, or an angry one at that.

That's what Arc mentioned that he saw Megan Kelly state on FOX, but we believe now it was more of a what-if. Regardless, I think Katehi is responsible and her placing cops on leave is a bit of a double-standard. I don't think this case is done and there will be many other fall outs. I predict Katehi will be one of those that will be either forced to resign, will resign on her own (shameful) will or there will be other revelations like you and Arc presented. Wait and see, I guess.
  9. mikeky

mikeky Member

10. Arc

Arc Full Member

Finally the question gets “answered” without being asked. I don’t know if the chancellor is telling the truth but superficially without corroborating evidence it doesn’t smell right. It wouldn’t surprise me if she is lying and throwing the cops or their chief under the bus.

Link to rest of the story plus additional relevant links within the story:
  11. ethics

Agreed, it stinks to high heavens. Something just doesn't add up.
  12. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Anothber viewpoint: http://www.leelofland.com/wordpress/?p=13603

He's an ex-cop though, so I suppose that automatically makes his opinion invalid.
  13. ethics

If we are going to play these petty games, you mean like the ex-cop that sued for anti-gay slurs? I can do this all day, Bob, let me know if you care more about the issue than winning a debate.

Pepper spraying cop had an anti-gay slur lawsuit ending in $240,000 settlement while previously saying the spray is 'not always the best tool' | Mail Online
  14. cmhbob

Not playing games, Leon. Did you read Lee's post?
  15. Arc

Arc Full Member

The only part I found directly relevant to the situation being discussed, the spraying at UC Davis was:

So according to Lee, police spaying the protestors at UC Davis was absolutely the wrong action.
  16. cmhbob

That was kind of my point, Arc. Here's an ex-cop who disagrees with what happened. But of course, he's just playing his cop card, so it doesn't count.
  17. ethics

Bob, we are going to find people on both sides of this. I appreciate that you brought in something that disagrees with your opinion, big props there, but again, in order to get to the bottom of the issue (and Arc touched on this already) we need to know the following:

1. Who ordered the use of Pepper Spray. If none, the issue rests on the officers themselves.
    2. IF #1 above is answered with officers themselves, is what they did the proper form of removing a sitting crowd.
    3. IF #2 is validated that this IS a proper way to remove a crowd, this issue is dead. However, imho, it needs to be revisited nationally.
    Else, the cops in that situation escalated the issue improperly. And of course, my thing here is not with punishing but with education.
  18. Arc

Arc Full Member

Good gosh what a total bunch of frigging morons. Stereotypical Academia lala land mentality. They say Bill Bratton is the wrong person or a bad choice to lead the investigation! :umustbe:

19. Kluge

Kluge Observing your world for over 50 years

I can see it now,,, scene from the squad room, morning of the incident...

"Officer Jackwagon, we're not having any of your namby-pamby anti-pepper-spray attitude today. You get your ass out there and if I say pepper-spray, I want to see you front and center with that pepper spray can out farther than anybody else or I'll have you walking a beat so far out in Queens..."
  20. ethics

It just means that they want a certain outcome and this is the wrong person they feel will give them that outcome.