1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vets Not Eligible for Lifetime Care

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Nov 20, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

A federal appeals court reluctantly agreed with the government that military recruiters had no legal authority to promise World War II and Korean War veterans that they would get free lifetime health care if they stayed in the service 20 years.

Although the government conceded military recruiters made the promises, the Defense Department convinced the court there was no valid contract because the assurances were not backed up by law.

My first question is SHOULD War (and I stress war) veterans receivve lifetime medical benefits?

I say yes.

2. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

I say yes as well.

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Damn straight!!!!

SM

4. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

As do I.

5. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Our government is such a POS, I swear to GOD - their military recruiters promise young men and women that if they sign up for X amount of time, they'll get all these benefits, and then it turns out to be a LIE - and the government clings on to the fact there's no law backing it up?

HELLO, there is a law against FRAUD, which is what that is - so when are all our Vets putting in a class action lawsuit against the Us Government for FRAUD?

6. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Hell, yeah, they should get it!!! As should all of our wartime veterans, as far as I'm concerned! :mad:

So many of the ailments not being covered are a <b>direct result</b> of that service; official denial of the physical problems, not even to mention the frequent psychological damage, is also something that needs to be addressed by our government.

7. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

The fact that many of our vets were used as TEST SUBJECTS for all sorts of chemicals... and now to be denied lifetime healthcare...

Makes my blood boil.

8. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

The military to my best recollection has always provided full medical care to its retirees. If they're going to reneg on that one, that removes a huge incentive for people to stay 20.

As to veterans, the VA hospitals do their best to treat all, but they are woefully underfunded. I have a service connected disability for which I receive a small stipend, due to having my intestinal tract reorganized and shortened thanks to an AK-47 ;) This status would supposedly grant me priority treatment at the VA. Thankfully, my regular insurance hasn't forced me to seek that option since college.

9. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Coot, I picked this off cnn.com:

""We ... can do no more than hope Congress will make good on the promises recruiters made in good faith to plaintiffs and others of the World War II and Korean War era from 1941 to 1956 when Congress enacted its first health care insurance act for military members, excluding older retirees," the court majority said. "

If I'm reading this correctly, lifetime health care for military retirees was only enacted in 1956. The veterans who served prior to then are apparently the ones affected by this disgusting ruling.

It may be the correct legal interpretation, but it is morally wrong.

10. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Yep...disgusting is what it is, and morally bankrupt to boot.

11. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

And she signed it with this poem:

"Cause if you want love, We'll make it, Swim in a deep sea,
    Of blankets, Take all your big plans,
    And break 'em, This is bound to be a while.
    Your body is a wonderland"

Hmmmm. No wonder her blood is boiling.

12. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Yeah they should! They served and protected our country lifetime health care is the least we can do. I personally know/knew two veterans of the Korean War (one my late Grandfather who died of pancreatic cancer in September). I mean they spent a frickin $20 Million to develop a free video game that we all love, but can't afford to give health care? I think someone has their priorities screwed up...

13. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I think many members of Congress served in the Armed Forces in the last fifty years. Now the SC is saying they made no promises. I think a case should be made that they knew of the promise and never stated differently in spite of 50 years of opportunity. The fukking hypocrites. I would like to see Congress restricted to no better retirement, no better current benefits than they give the military. Maybe that would change their minds about what is adequate. The two faced ba$tards.

14. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Actually veteran preferences have been steadily been eroded throughout society in the past twenty years.

It used to be veterans were awarded a variety of considerations for their service in areas such as open job competition, especially in government type jobs. For instance they would be given an extra five points for being a veteran on exams for job openings. They got 10 points if they were disabled from their time in the service.

Yesterday, I applied for a job with the City of Los Angeles. To qualify to be a veteran you simply had to have served in the military during certain periods since 1941. (Off the top of my head I believe the time frames corresponded with WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and Desert Storm.) However to be eligible for the five extra points you had to have been discharged in the past five years. If discharged before that time no points. Really. Give me a break. What type of common sense is that? Or maybe its something other than common sense?

15. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

Absolutely. Take the medical benefits away from the death row bastards and give health care to the war veterans.

The war vets have more than earned it. The death row bastards have not.

Shiny has an excellent idea about restricting the retirement benefits for members of Congress. Too bad it'll never happen.

16. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Health care is a hot button for me.

I totally agree that Veterans should receive lifetime health benefits.

I should add that I also think every citizen, without exception, should have health care provided to them throughout their entire life.

This is a very complicated subject and I am quite aware my vision of guaranteed health care for all is not easily achieved.

Big business is deeply entrenched in almost every aspect of the health care "industry". IMO it is disgraceful that we allow so many citizens to go through life (or portions of it) without the assurance that the best medical care is readily available to them.

I watched my sister-in-law die of cancer at a young age and I received an education I will never forget in the * health care system*.

Although the powers to be did not get away with some of the stunts they attempted with my sister-in-law it certainly did not stop them from trying. I basically made it my mission to be the guardian beating these parasites off with a bat.