1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Veterans Pay Back Bonuses

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ShinyTop, Oct 25, 2016.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Although the headlines are from CA the bonuses were offered country wide and now the government is requesting the vets pay back the money. The vet side of me is up in arms.

But the other side of me says that few of these soldiers did not know they were not qualified to receive the bonuses. I am sure recruiters and members of the chain of command told them there would be no consequences, here, take the money.

I am not sure what the fair outcome would be. The paperwork, the service news, everything would have the information the service member needed to know he was not fully entitled to the bonus. But I believe in a perfect storm of outrage the debts will be excused and I am not convinced that is fair.

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

When I first read about that today, I was wondering what the hell was going on. But then I tripped across this gem:

Military family: Enlistment bonus fiasco 'depleted our savings' - CNN.com

So yeah, I'm sure all these folks that are now required to pay back those bonuses weren't exactly squeaky clean themselves. Most everyone knows if they're in a critical field that gets a re-enlistment bonus and those that were getting them outside of those fields pretty much knew what the score was. Considering a lot of these are 20+ year members, yeah, cry me a river. Y'all knew what you were doing and now it's time to pay the piper.

3. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you were handed a legal and binding contract from the Government listing that you would receive X for staying in the Military (regardless if you are a General or a Cook!) to perform Y, and you signed it and lived up to YOUR end, how again would that be your fault?

4. Biker

That's just it. You HAD to have known there was something fishy going on to be offered a bonus when you know your career field isn't eligible for one. I knew when my career field had bonuses authorized and when it didn't. It was my luck, every time I came up for re-enlistment, I wasn't eligible to receive a bonus.

Now I don't know how the National Guard operates, but if a personnel type person had offered to submit paperwork for a bonus when I re-enlisted, alarm bells would have been going off all over the place with me doing some verification to see if it was legitimate. Especially as a fraudulent thing like that would kill a security clearance in a heart beat if/when it came to light.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  5. Allene

Allene Registered User

What a mess!

6. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

7. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

8. Arc

Arc Full Member

About a week or two ago the LAT ran a large in-depth article on the situation with the bonuses and the California Guard, (17,000 troops strong.)

Bottom line is that in the big picture the fraud and dishonesty were on the people handing out the money. The majority of the people that were recipients only knew what they were told by Guard Officials. That is in opposition to the fraud of a few of the folks that knew they were not entitled to the bonuses.

An overview:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  9. Biker

For those who were eligible, but had issues with the paperwork, yes they should be forgiven.

However, for those that were not eligible, they knew it, the officials knew it, and I see no reason why they should not have to pay back those bonuses. Just because you're told you're eligible doesn't mean you are and I'm sure the majority knew it, too.

ShinyTop likes this.