1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verizon Ups the Ante

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by SixofNine, Apr 24, 2017.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Almost-gigabit connections (940 down, 880 up) for $70/month, and Verizon will even let existing customers sign up starting April 3oth.

Today's press release: Verizon launches Fios Gigabit Connection service delivering millions of customers the speeds they deserve

Excerpts:

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I am on their 150/150MB plan. I don't think I need more.

3. SixofNine

That's what I have. There are posts on reddit and dslreports claiming that 150/150 customers are getting free upgrades to gigabit, with some receiving emails to that effect, but I haven't seen anything yet.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Liar liar pants on fire.

5. SixofNine

No joy for me on the 30th yet. No emails, and the gigabit plan doesn't even appear as an option on my account page.

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Perhaps those what have the entire package with cable. I only have internet for 39 bucks a month.

And no, Tom, not lying. I honestly don't think people are aware that the server on the other side has to be extremely fast for you to even hit 150... I have not seen that yet except private torrent sites.

7. SixofNine

Yeah, as the bandwidth tiers get higher and higher, more and more frequently the limiting factor is going to be the other end of the connection.

8. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

The massive bandwidth requirements aren't just for one connection. They're more for households with multiple devices sucking up bandwidth with each doing their own thing.