1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Venezuela on the brink!

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Leopoldo Niilus, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Leopoldo Niilus

Leopoldo Niilus Registered User

So what will come next? If past history is anything to stand by - renewed direct U.S. intervention(s) in Latin America.

Any further or different wisdom?

Full story:

http://www.iht.com/articles/78604.html

2. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Leo,
    Firstly, I don't like newspapers telling me what must happen to solve the situation. Having said that, I doubt very much that the current administration is too pre-occupied to have let this one get lost in the shuffle underneath the utility bill or the phone bill.

I expect that the administration will act if it deems it appropriate, and not because the Washinton Post declares it necessary.
    It would appear that the ouster of Chavez is inevitable. I expect that the administration here has already sized up the situation and decided that it can work with his opposition.

3. Leopoldo Niilus

4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

That's quite a rocky history, Leonardo. Chavez seems to be a miz of good ideas and bad, and incompetence in in implementing anything. Where do we go from here? I hate the idea of sending in the marines again.

5. Leopoldo Niilus

Venezuela: U.S. Chavez dilemma

Still more background on Venezuela.

We may need all this - what has preceded and will follow - for a better understanding and interpretation of what most likely will happen in the country in the near future - perhaps the very next days.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/1931942.stm

6. Leopoldo Niilus

7. Leopoldo Niilus

Bob,

You are not alone in hating the idea of sending in the marines again. So do all the Latin Americans.

Greetings

Leopoldo

8. Robert Harris

Seems hopeless. The only answer short term may be to send in the marines -- but that does not help long term.

9. Leopoldo Niilus

Bob,

Yep, it does seem hopeless.

Fully agree that sending in marines won't help long term.

But, then, for some OIL in itself is long term enough.

Leopoldo

10. Robert Harris

But we are going to get all the oil we need by invading Iraq.

11. Leopoldo Niilus

Inshalla!

But, then, you ever run unto a drug addict who felt they got or already had enough of the stuff. :)

Leopoldo

12. Robert Harris

True -- anmd the Bush biz interests certainly fall in that category.

13. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks for posting these articles, Leopoldo. My brain can only absorb so many trouble spots at one time, and I admit I missed this one.

Allene

14. Leopoldo Niilus

Allene,

You are most welcome.

I am afraid that Venezuela will turn out a very serious trouble spot indeed. Hope I am wrong.

Leopoldo