1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Vehicle]Opinion, please?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Dec 8, 2005.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Topic is a family car, IE Minivan.

2. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Well, some of the options we have here are the same as you have up there. The Honda Odessey gets good reviews as does just about anything from Toyota. Hondas tend to be pricey though, but maybe not up your way.

3. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

Leon, an Audi Allroad is a station wagon, I believe. I think that fits the category of family car :)

4. deltat2000

deltat2000 Veteran Member

The Allroad is a cross over vehicle, the best of both worlds...Quatro four wheel drive, really slick suspension...adjusts car height to road conditions, and speed...its a station wagon, with plenty of room for my wife's wheelchair, and its got the best interior of all the Audi's, including the seat warmers..:cool:

Its what we get as a loaner every time we take our 90 in for service, plus its got a twelve year warranty on rust, and I can get the optional extended warranty to 100,000 miles or 7 years on an Audi Certified Pre Owned vehicle!....All that on a budget of about 28 grand. Historically my Audi's have always gone 10 years, and about 200,000 to 250,000 miles!

5. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Sweet-looking vehicle....except that it's turbocharged, which means premium gas and premium gas prices! And the fuel mileage is nowhere near what we're looking for.

6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Huh?? Just because an engine has a turbo doesn't mean it needs premium fuel.

7. MNeedham73

Alot of turbo cars do require higher octane.

But, according to Yahoo Autos, the compression ratio on the 2.7L turbo in the Allroad is 9.3:1, which indicates to me that it shouldn't require it.

Heck, My Chevy Equinox's engine compression is higher than that and it runs 87 octane.

8. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Yeah, that was an assumption on my part; the Buick Regal I owned before I got married required premium fuel for its turbo.

9. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

:doh: :haha:

10. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Plus, recently, Audi's have had some very expensive problems, right about the time the warranty expires. On of my friends, who has owned Audi's for years, commented that you always trade in your Audi right before the warranty expires. Because after it expires, there is no fix that is less then $1000.00, and there will be some.

11. tke711

For the vast majority of the cars out there that say Premium Required, it's a bunch of hooey. Yes, premium is required if you want to realize the maximum horse power that they advertise for that model. However, they will run just fine on normal or middle grade gasoline.

12. MNeedham73

Not true, Gregg. I've owned two cars that were listed as being premium-only. One was supercharged, one normally aspirated. If I ran anything less than premium on either of them, engine knock and other potentially damaging problems would crop up immediately. If it says that the car requires it, then it does. Anything less can potentially lead to some serious issues down the road.

13. tke711

While that is true for some, select vehicles, it's not true for the vast majority. All of the BMW's say they require Premium, but all but a few will run fine without it. Same with the Subaru's except for the WRX.

In the past, the engine knock was a huge problem on premium only cars, but now days, the vehicles have gas sensors to detect what octane gasoline is being run and the vehicle automatically makes the necessary changes to run that gasoline.

14. tke711

Better description here

[bl]Until about 15 years ago, if a car called for premium gas and you pumped in regular, the car began to knock and ping and even vibrate. But that was before they essentially put a laptop under the hood of the automobile, said Dr. Loren Beard, senior manager of Environmental and Energy Planning, for Daimler Chrysler. Now, sensors take readings and tune the engine as you drive by adjusting the timing for whatever fuel you put in the tank. [/bl]

15. MNeedham73

Well, the last one I had was a 2003, and it was a Toyota engine on top of that (in a Pontiac) and even mid-grade would cause problems.

Best way to figure out if a car should run premium or not is to find out what the engine compression is. If it's more than 9.5:1 or so, premium is most likely necessary to prevent knock/detonation.

It is true that some engine management computers will retard the engine timing if they detect lower octane fuel than what it is designed for. But, you lose power, gas mileage, etc. in the process.

16. MNeedham73

Actually, this part of the article you linked to pretty much sums up our discussion, I think.

17. tke711

You had the Vibe right? The Vibe is one of the cars that did not have the fuel adjuster sensor.

Like I said in my first post, the vast majority of new cars will have this technology, but there are some exceptions.

Yes, you will lose some horsepower and some gas mileage. However, the gas mileage reduction is more then offset by the $0.20 per gallon difference in price between regular and premium.

It depends on the vehicle and the personal preference of the owner of the vehicle.

18. tke711

Correct. If it's required the car may not have the adjustment technology.

19. MNeedham73

Yep. 11.5:1 compression ratio on the motor in that thing. Probably couldn't retard the engine enough to compensate for a lower fuel.

20. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Well, after a month of research and discussion, we decided on a 2006 Honda Odyssey Touring minivan. Submitted the loan app online to our credit union this evening, we should have everything finalized by Wednesday and probably will pick it up that evening.