1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Vehicle]Opinion, please?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

We're considering the Mazda5 as a replacement for our aging Ford Windstar.

Pros so far include gas mileage, price, features.

Cons include very limited cargo space and, according to a couple of reviews I 've read, an underpowered a/c system.

If you had three small kids, enjoyed traveling, and needed something other than a sedan, would you consider the Mazda5? If not, what'd be your recommendation? SUV's are out because of poor mileage. Subaru's are out because they're overpriced. Most minivans are overpriced, heavy, and have anemic mileage. We're really having a hard time picking a replacement.
  2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

The latest issue of Cosumer Reports reviewed the Mazda5. Out of the cars they tested it against (PT Cruiser, Chevy HHT, and a couple of others), it received the highest score, but wasn't the Consumer Reports "pick".

I'll better read the article tonight and give you some more of their feedback if you'd like.

As for the Subaru's, go see your local dealership. The ones around here at least will move quite a bit for you on the price. I stopped by one the other day and immediately they took off 2K on the Outback. It would still be a little more then the Mazda5, but you get a little more as well.
  3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Maintenance issues as well as Mazda's failure to make good on repairs until threatened ensured there'll never be another one in my driveway again.
  4. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Did you have problems, then? I don't know anything about Mazda's reliability numbers. Or do you think it might just have been the dealership?
  5. Biker

Car was a 323 GT. Onboard computer went Tango Uniform and it took months of threats and letters to finally get them to replace the damned thing. Never again. Never......
  6. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

Might I suggest a KIA Sedona?

I've owned 3 KIAs. Great warranty, great service, very reliable, a lot of vehicle for the money.

Take a look... you might like!!

BDD... :{)
  7. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

The Sedona is good in every respect except mileage. 16/22 (in reality prolly closer to 12/20) is pretty bad :(
  8. Biker

Problem with KIAs is if you need body repairs, it takes weeks to get the parts in.

As far as mini vans are concerned, if I were to get another, I'd get another Plymouth Voyager. Loved mine. Mileage wasn't bad, and had tons of room.
  9. eakes

eakes Registered User

I favor Nissan products. Two to check out - Quest and Murano. Neither has the gas mileage specs of the Mazda, but are close and have 6 cylinder engines as opposed to Mazda's 4.

The reason I like Nissan products is I drive them off the lot and never see the repair facility. I do not want to be on a first name basis with the work-order writers at the garage!
  10. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Oh, with me, there's only one I'd be looking at, and it's the Honda Odyssey. They are pricier at probably 28k, but IMO Honda is the premium bang for the buck. Resale maintains very high, and they are a supreme ride.

Edit - and mileage is rated at 19/25, in a 6 cylinder 244 HP engine. My experience with Hondas is that normal city/highway mix driving cuts the mileage difference, as in I would get 22 MPG or so with this vehicle.
  11. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

If we don't go new (and probably not, for a change), we're going with a dealer-certified used vehicle. That puts the Nissans and Hondas in the right price range.
  12. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Well, in that case, more food for thought. Two auto manufacturers have really upped the ante when it comes to vehicle longevity. Especially if the vehicle is being well maintained, as in synthetic oils, regular maintenance, etc, these vehicles are known to go 200k miles and beyond. This is unlike many domestic autos, also.

Toyota and Honda both have this reputation. That's why I buy Hondas, actually. I can buy one for perhaps a little more than a domestic (I paid 14.5k each for 2 Civics last year), but I can drive the wheels clean off of them, where if I buy a Ford or GM product, who knows? It's a crap shoot. Some of them die at 120 thousand, and that's unacceptable to me.
  13. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

We went the minivan route a few years ago. In terms of overall quality we would have been happy with either a Toyota Sienna or a Honda Odyssey. At the time we bought their was crazy demand for the Odyssey while you could dicker on the price of the Sienna, so we bought the latter. At other times, and in other parts of the country (according to friends and family), the opposite has been true.

14. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Some friends have an Odyssey, and love it. They have 5 kids, and it's been the family go-getter all over town, and has carried them to east Texas as well. Very comfortable in the back for me.

My brother has a Saturn Vue, and likes it pretty well, even if the reviews are not great. Lots of room in the back, and for the back seat people as well.
  15. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

I've got the Chevy cousin of the VUE, the Equinox. Gas mileage has gotten better than when I got it (engine break in I guess). I get around 21-22 mixed driving. The rear seats move fore and aft, plus recline several inches. Great if I need more room in the cargo area but don't need the seats down. Sticker was $25k on it for a well loaded AWD model..but probably would be signifigantly less now with GM's Red tag promotion going.

Pontiac has a version now too, but it's a little pricier.
  16. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Depends what you want from the van, Steve. Everyone is different. I bought my Quest for the fact that, unlike Sienna, you can put the back seats IN TO the floor. You don't need to remove them and carry them out. Quest also has the most room inside out of all minivans (not by much but). I also like the dashboard in the middle -- some people hate it.

The top three choices I had were Sienna, Odyssey, and Quest. We chose Quest because we were looking for a good car that was still fun to drive.
  17. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

My brother-in-law was the GM executive in charge of producing both the equinox and vue from design up to turning it over for production, his latest was the torrent.
  18. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

Tell your brother-in-law thanks for putting out a well built, well thought out vehicle for me. :)
  19. deltat2000

deltat2000 Veteran Member

Looking for a good Certified Pre Owned car.....try the Audi Allroad....it sounds like it would meet your needs.

Its my next auto..... I will look for a 2 - 3 year old coming off lease!
  20. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

The reason I went the CRV route was my boss's success with his last two accords. 350K on his first one before he wrecked it, and he's got 370K on this one and he's still driving it 200 miles a day.