1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vehicle 5 Star Safety ratings should also include computer systems

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Something I whole heartedly agree with as this has been a concern for quite some time.

From what I'm seeing in the article, it appears that manufacturers AND Congress are pretty clueless when it comes to concerns on computer security in vehicles. And when you have companies like Google touting driverless vechicles (and the resulting clueless masses who think it's a great idea), failure to take computer security into consideration just makes for a potential nightmare.

We already have thieves using computerized methods of gaining access to vehicles in order to take anything of value. It doesn't take much of an imagination to see that as vehicles come to rely on computerized input for safety, why hardening those systems becomes paramount.
    Allene and ethics like this.
  2. Allene

Allene Registered User

It makes me nervous too. Frankly, they've gone overboard with the computerizing, period. I went out of the way to get plain vanilla cars for years, but a year ago I decided to go to automatic transmission (for the first time since the 1970s) and bought a Honda Civic (my sisters like them). I do like the car, but the computer system and other fancy things have taken some time to get used to!

The first mishap occurred when I went into the back seat and shut the door. I was checking one of the dog harnesses that snap into the seat belts in the car (I bought them; they aren't one of the features of a Civic, LOL!). This one is not an actual computer thing, but I didn't know about the child lock feature. Fortunately it was in October, so didn't get hot inside. I had to climb into the front seat via the narrow space between the seats. If I had weighed another 10 pounds, it would probably have taken the jaws of life to pry me loose.

The other problem involves the key. I gave Ed an extra one. He put it in his pants pocket and apparently leaned on it. We went away in the van for four days, leaving the car in our garage. The morning after our return, Ed got into the car and found it wouldn't start. The battery was totally dead, and nothing would help. The trunk of the car had been open for over four days. Honda sent a tow truck on a 100-mile roundtrip to pick it up. They didn't charge us for it, but I had to drive it back. I wonder how safe their computer system really is?