1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Utah Passes White-Collar Felon Registry

Discussion in 'Economy' started by ethics, Mar 11, 2015.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

SixofNine likes this.
  2. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Is it?

Yes, there are consequences for your actions. But at some point, doesn't The State need to say, "enough?" After they've served their sentence, why make it even harder for them to resume normal life? These registries just give a false sense of security, and set the stage for more stupid stuff down the road.

At some point, don't convicted felons have a right to try and move on from their past?
  3. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I would like to know which ones live in my neighborhood so that I can keep them away from my bank accounts. :D
    ethics and Copzilla like this.
  4. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

What Six said. Schemers of all flavors have their business profitable by virtue of anonymity and the gift of gab. Take away the anonymity, and you have a janitor.
    ethics likes this.
  5. ethics

Yes, Bob it is. You even think sex offenders shouldn't have this if I got you right.
  6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Huge difference between someone who was caught peeing behind their truck on the side of the road and a child molester. Yet both would appear on a sex offender registry. So yeah, I have some serious heartburn over the proliferation of registries which may not give the entire story.
  7. Copzilla

No, urinating in public is not a sex offense. It's actually a ticketable offense.
    ethics likes this.
  8. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I've talked to a couple of truckers who were dinged for exposure in California, resulting in a sex offense charge.
  9. ethics

Yeah, I don't know what state that is in.
  10. Copzilla

Uhuh. Don't believe that bullshit, they were weenie wagging. UIP and indecent exposure are two entirely different animals and require two entirely different burdens of proof. One is just relieving himself, the other is "with intent to arouse or provide gratification to any person" type of language.

Weenie wagging has elements like dude has a boner, yanking it, and turns it toward a woman blah blah, there is a big big difference.

California and Texas laws are very similar.

You would be surprised how many motherfuckers there are who get off on that, Tom. I busted one about six months ago on our rail system. He was known to us to be a weenie wagger, but the complainants wouldn't ever stick around, they didn't want to testify. He thought it was all a big joke, would laugh at us. Then we dropped a trespass warning on him and told him he couldn't ride mass transit, ever. He thought that was a joke too. THAT one didn't require a complainant. I arrested him a week after I gave him the trespass warning, and he didn't think it was a joke then. He got his parole revoked. Haven't seen him since.
    Allene and ethics like this.