1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USSR symbols continue to make comeback

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Robert Harris, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

First the Soviet national antheem comers back, now this...what next?

Putin Brings Back Soviet Red Star
    2 hours, 26 minutes ago

By VLADIMIR ISACHENKOV, Associated Press Writer

MOSCOW - President Vladimir Putin agreed Tuesday to reinstate the Soviet-era red star as the Russian military's official emblem ? in the latest reincarnation of Communist symbols that has sparked fears of a return to the repressive past.

The proposal came from Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov, who spoke Tuesday at a meeting of Russia's top generals attended by Putin.

"The star is sacred for all servicemen," Ivanov said in remarks broadcast on Russian television as Putin sat behind him, frowning his brow. "Our fathers and grandfathers went to battle with the star."

Putin quickly endorsed Ivanov's appeal, and then voiced hope that the speakers of both houses of the Russian parliament would succeed in "convincing" lawmakers to approve the corresponding legislation.

More:
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...21126/ap_on_re_eu/russia_red_star_1&printer=1

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I don't disagree with this, actually.

The red star is only for the military, to be used on Tanks, planes, etc... It clearly identifies their military machines, and God knows everyone around the world is also.

Now if Hammer and Sickle come back, THEN we have a problem.

Of course, people will say, "well why not bring back the Swastika for Germany."

For all I care, if they use it for military only, I have no qualms because I know today's Germany, as today's Russia, are different countries.

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

I sort of agree with you on the Red Star for the military. Back when they were celebtrating the 50th anniversary of the end of WWII the government brought a huge number of vets from all over the country to Moscow. I saw crowds of them at tne then-new memorial park that had just opened, doddering old men and women proudly wearing their medals and red stars. Let them have it.

But what will you say when they re-erect Felix's statue in front of Lyubyanka? Luzhkov is pushing hard to do that. And when it was taken down in 1991 it was not destroyed, just stored away somewhere.

4. ethics

Different beast (and pun intended) altogether.

We all know the insidious, vile, horrid, nightmarish, inhumane organization that became known eventually as KGB. I doubt there were majority of things they did for the positive of and for their people. I doubt even Perry will disagree with me here.

The amount of people who are proponents of having this thing brought back from the dead for the reasons of nostalgia is very small. It's probably the sickos or the true ignorant who are still thinking Stalin was their Uncle, with a capital 'U.'

The Soviet Union military was not always bad, it was our ally in WWII, they helped us immensely, even if for the sole reason of keeping the front humongous.

Russian soldiers didn't go in to the military for the same reason as Russians went in to the KGB. I think that's my argument for now.

5. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Not meaning to go OT, but the same arguement can be made for the Confederate Flag. Most that fought for the south were not fighting to keep blacks enslaved.

6. ethics

Another flag I don't have a problem with. Confederate Flag has been hijacked by politicians and people who have no idea what the Civil War was all about. You've stated correctly what and who fought for slavery, and if I recall my studies correctly, slavery was not the major reason for the war, or even one of the major reasons. It was used by the North for rhetoric of feel good society.

7. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Well almost! Different words but the same music. Actually, (good thing I am just a cyber identity), I've always loved the music portion of the anthem far and away more than any other's country! I've always had a special fondness for Russian music.

Excuse my fluff post in what is a serious topic well written in Robert's post!

8. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

I agree completely.

9. jamming

jamming Banned

Isn't that the Internationale?

10. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Did you know the last revolution in Russia was partially due to nationalism...

I forsee problems...

11. jamming

jamming Banned

Actually even having family members on both sides, the Southern fought for his State and the Yankee mostly for the Union. But among the individual soldiers, probably it was the Southerner fought for his friends, family, and freedom. The Northerner fought for the same.

What differed was the terms the used to describe freedom. To the North it was to Free the Slave (as in one of my Great Great Grandfather James "Boston's" letters home) and to preserve the freedoms which the United States has preserved. The South it was the freedom to run their own lives and preserve the liberties of the Southern Patriot have fought for at Yorktown. So you see the division was almost about two ways to look at the same thing.