1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB Pen/Keychain/Thumb Drives

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Techie2000, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I'm curious does anyone have one of these? What are your thoughts? Usefulness? I was looking at them and think I want to get the SanDisk Cruzer because it is essentially a mini SD/MMC card reader, and I can use the SD card in my Zaurus...

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

The scanner pen?

3. Techie2000

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

AH!

I'd wait till more devices support these babies.

5. -Ken

-Ken Guest

I bought a 64 MB PenDrive for a
    customer as a backup device.

It plugs into the USB port of her
    system and does the job beautifully.

It's attached to her car keys so here
    data leaves the premises every night.

I think I paid $60.00 for it.

6. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

I use Sony's 64 meg MicroVault. Works flawlessly... you have to install drivers on Win98 machines, but you just plug it in to Win2000, ME, XP systems, where it immediately shows up as -- and operates as -- a removeable hard drive.

Very handy. Comes with it's own encryption system.

Cost about $60 US / $100 Cdn

7. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Techie,
    I also a couple of customers that use them. I don't know if I'd feel safe enough with them yet ( as they are still fairly new) to keep my backup data on them. Although like Ken, thats exactly what my clients use them for. I haven't had any problems with them yet. They seem to be a stable device. I guess my only concern is that they hang on a keychain ( and both my clients keep them on their keyring) and get bounced and banged around. We never really think about how many times we just throw the keys on the table or the drop off the key holder and bang on the floor. I am thinking that at some point all this bangin and droppin has got to do something to the device. My other concern is that even if the banging was not an issue, the total amount of memory availbe is still not a large enoguh capacity for me (personally) to have ause for them Obviously there is a market share that they work for, just not for me personally.

8. jamming

jamming Banned

I think that these keychains are useful in the way a Zip Drive is for back-up, useful but I wouldn't bet my business on them.

9. mikeky

mikeky Member

True; you never know when the click-of-death equivalent may pop up.

10. Techie2000

I was thinking of using it because I can use the SD card in my Zaurus PDA, and it would probably work better for transferring files from school since I don't have a floppy drive anymore (it broke)...

11. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

I got the Creative MuVo and I totally love it.
    It works as an mp3/wma player, as well as a "keychain" drive (I don't put it on a keychain, I just keep it in my jacket pocket).
    It's tiny, holds 128 megs, and sounds great.
    Plugs right in to XP or 2K machines (you need to download a driver for a 98 machine, and it won't work on NT at all).
    $150 at J and R a couple months ago.
    Just make sure to get the 128 meg, not the 64 meg.
    http://www.nomadworld.com/products/muvo/