1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USAF Bombed Texas

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Techie2000, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/world/021228/w122806.html

Nevermind the fact that the settlement was too low, we don't need to protect ourselves from terrorists, we need to protect ourselves from our own military. Steve, any advice for those of us who want to protect our homes from getting bombed?

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Don't build where a bomb will drop.

3. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Accidents always have, and always will happen. The USAF is not immune to accidents.

Just thank God that it wasn't a "live" bomb.

4. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

It really surprised me that the USAF wasn't hit for a larger law suit, like in the millions. Instead Aker accepted only what was needed to repair the house.

5. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Some people still believe they are only entitled to damages. Others would try to get set up for life by this mistake. I guess you would call the first a fool, but I have a lot more admiration for them.

6. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Oh, now that's funny. :haha:

The USAF is clearly liable, and seeing how a settlement was reached, I'd say additional acrimony is unnecessary.

Still, these things happen. During live-fire training at Ft. Hood during the Apache ARTEP, when the 6th Cavalry was being stood up as the first Apache-pure cavalry brigade in III Corps, we would, on occasion, have Hellfires get away from us. These were inert weapons with no warheads, but they did have full propellant and guidance systems. These were the AGM-114A models of the Hellfire, essentially the first generation semi-autonomous models that follow a laser beam to their targets. The gunnery range was about three miles deep, and had been previously used by AH-1 Cobras firing 2.75" rockets and TOW missiles. Three miles of territory was adequate for the TOWs; they're wire-guided, and fly in a very flat, virtually straight trajectory to their targets.

The Hellfires, on the other hand, pop up; a few seconds after uncaging, the missile climbs out to several hundred feet above the point of fire, then noses down and looks for the laser sparkle. The A-model Hellfires weren't extremely sophisticated in comparison to later versions, so sometimes, they got away from the Apaches. The problem with the Hellfires is they had a 3.5 mile flight range...and it was not terribly unusual for these inert missiles to exit the gunnery range and land in one of Ft. Hood's housing areas. One officer lost his car due to a sputtering Hellfire skidding down the street and burying itself into the driver's door. ;)

So, this stuff does happen. Part and parcel of using the weapons of war, even in peacetime.

SM

7. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Oh good Lord. :rolleyes:

That's exactly what I was thinking. But, since you said it first I'll have to find a way to disagree with it. :_

Just gimme a moment.

8. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

considering it is texas..the bomber is lucky it didn't get shot down in revenge :)