1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Weighs Assurances for DPRK

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Lending some credence to my previous jag on a possible attack on the DPRK following Iraq, this surfaces today:

A perhaps more telling slice comes from the end of the article:

I think this more than just about saving face, as what the dandies over at The Asia Times would purport. I do think the DPRK feels imperiled; clearly, their society is ripe for busting apart at the seams. We've seen how violent protests in the South can get, to the point to where US soldiers are directly menaced. I would submit (and I daresay I'm not far off the mark here) that, if the DPRK was not such an awesome military power and its people so bereft of even hope, that a popular uprising would have sent Kim Jong Il packing long ago. Sufficient posturing by the US would likely aid and abet such "reformist" sentiments that the DPRK would not only find itself facing the long guns of the West, but also the short knives of its own people.

Anyway. Read all about it at
    US Weighs Assurances for North Korea

SM

2. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

So what happens if Kim Jong Il decides he's about to be pushed out of power? I doubt he'd go willingly. Does he have enough of a hardcore element to pull off a Gotterdammerung and take N. Korea and as many of his perceived enemies with him? To say he's unpredictable is an understatement, imo. Saadam at least likes to think of himself as some sort of Arab knight. He also has a keen sense of self-preservation. I am sure the Dear Leader does as well but is less stable in the mental department.