1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US was built on Slavery

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jun 18, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Another idiotic statement I see more and more of, especially out of the black community.

I am not sure how many exactly, but we all agree that some rich Southerners had slaves? While Civil War was more than just about slavery, it was definitely a part of it, a big part. Many men, American men, died for this. I am also aware that after Civil War, the country was rebuilt all over, even in cities that Civil War never touched (militarily) and America was rebuilt without slavery.

One final point, albeit a very important one, slavery didn't originate in the US, and slavery is still alive in other countries TODAY. What has UN done about that? Or anyone?

2. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

More slaves and by more I mean MORE MORE slaves went to Brazil than to the US.
    One can argue, that there is a vibrant black culture in the US because the US did not allow whites/black to intermarry so that in effect cultures were not erased.

As to why people state things that are untrue? Simple, it's the easy answer. We even make out the Dutch to be losers who got rid of Manhattan and had no idea what they were doing.

ethics likes this.
  3. Greg

Greg Full Member

Sadly, much of Black culture is being erased by the welfare state, by absentee fathers, and by drugs and crime in poor neighborhoods. I argue that Black culture today is mostly defective and that it perpetuates itself because of the welfare state encouraging women to have several children by different fathers and live on AFDC. It's almost impossible or very difficult to raise a child to become a good citizen without a functional family including a mother and a father. You need successful role models to succeed, although many surpass the odds and make it anyway.

Why is Rap music so angry???

4. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

Some of the slaves who went to the Caribbean before coming to the United States ended up in Canada--mostly Ontario and Nova Scotia: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Nova_Scotians>. At least some of them came via the Underground Railway. <\: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/4p2944.html>

Sydney (on Cape Breton Island) has a small black community, many of whom came from Barbados, but this was around 1901 when the steel plant opened there. It closed 100 years later, leaving a very interesting mixture of ethnic groups from as far away as Russia.

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

There was actually a separate census of slaves done sometime in the 1800s. I have seen this census on Ancestry.com but cannot check on the year right now because Ancestry and rootsweb among others have been experiencing a denial of service attack for the past couple of days. I came across that census when I was doing a little research on my husband's North Carolina family in the 1800s. One of his line--an ordinary farmer--had a small slave family (husband, wife, and two children). They were known only by their first names, with the farmer as their owner.

7. Arc

Arc Full Member

This and that:

Slavery. Humanity's biggest blight. It's all ways existed and still does. Within many American Indian tribes in what's now the USA BEFORE the whites came an Indian's wealth was counted in part by the number of slaves he had. Later it was the number of slaves and horses he had.

How come so many citizens and residents of Cuba are black? Why are so many residents and citizens of Brazil black?

Where did slaves come from to the United States? Mostly Western Africa. Hmm, since at one time all the Africans were black, who did the rounding up and selling of the slaves in Africa to the Europeans when the "business" started? African blacks, that's who.

Put the following three flags side by side: USA, Great Britain, Confederate States of America. How are they the same or different. Answer: All most all of the slaves ever brought to America either as a colony of the Brits or as the USA came under the first two flags. No slaves came under the flag of the Confederacy.

It was also under the first two flags that those nations outlawed slavery and put an end to most of the slave trade. Nevertheless it still exists today in different countries and on different scales. The US was nearly half slave states or territories but it was the USA free of external pressures that chose to abolish slavery in the nation and gave slaves citizenship and the right to vote via constitutional amendments.

It's true that as a country all most of the US States prior to 1865 had at one time slaves, and slavery was legal. But it is also true that as the US grew in the 19th century up to 1861that when territory were were admitted as states to the country it was balance in that every other state admitted was admitted officially as either a slave state or a free state. It was the war between residents of Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska over whether they be admitted as a free or slave states that was the precursor to the US Civil War.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    ShinyTop likes this.
  8. Greg

Greg Full Member

Good post!

For me it would be a difficult choice between slavery and war as humanity's biggest blight. And both have always existed and still exists.