1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US To Step Up Info Sharing with UN Inspectors

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

From MSNBC:

So, does anyone here think that assisting the weapons inspectors might illustrate the depth and breadth of US intel gathering in a pre-wartime situation?

Read all about it at Makin' Da Woild A Better Place 4 U & Me...

SM

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

The quotes I have read from the chief of the inspection team give me no confidence they are critcally looking.

3. wafen

wafen Member

I believe they are looking, but if you seen the Nightline show a little while back, they said that the Iraqi's learned by how the inspectors inspected how to hide the stuff better.
    They have had over 8 years to secure this stuff in places you can't dream they would have it.
    I'm not saying that they are doing the best job looking, but it isn't as easy as opening a door to check for this stuff.

4. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I would probably tend to agree with Wafen on this. I think if Blix & Co. were to put anything less than their best effort forward, then it would only reflect poorly upon them.

Of course, there are reasons why they should put their best foot forward, and that is to prevent a US invasion and the oft-feared, realistically-unfounded American seizure and control of Iraqi oil fields. I personally think this is a bunch of bunk; the US could have done this back in 1991, as there was no one there to prevent us. But in the EU, not to mention several sectors of concern here in the US, this topic is bandied about with reckless abandon.

hmm...after reading that last paragraph, I do fear I'm starting to sound like Martin!

Iraq most certainly has had a lot of time to hide stuff, and previous exposure to UN inspection methodolgy did provide some degree of experience for in-country covert ops in this aspect.

We'll just have to see.

SM

5. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Blix has a long and indistinguished career of things reflecting poorly on both him and his efforts. The man is marginally competent to the task at hand and his current group of inspectors pale in knowledge and ability to the previous group of inspectors. This latest action on our part is most likely an effort to take a dog that can't hunt directly over to the bush the quail are in. We'd like something a bit more substantive than the Iraqi declarations with which to declare a material breach, and it would be nice to have it within the next 30 days ;)