1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US to request use of UK 'spy base'

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by limeygit, Dec 14, 2002.

1. limeygit

limeygit Assume Sarcasm...

There is increasing speculation that the US will formally request that the UK government allow it use of the Flyindale radar station in N. Yorkshire as part of it's 'Star Wars' missile defense scheme.
    Official response from the Government hints at 'consultation', and a yes not being a foregone conclusion. Nobody really believes it though. Having defined a large part of his legacy on being such a 'staunch ally', it would be rather insane for Blair to backtrack now.
    Opponents claim it makes Britain a target, without the benefit of being part of the shield.
    Personally I don't see how it becomes a target, under the terrorist or rogue nation scenario, the opponent is not going to start a strategic attack on a host of specific targets. For that to be the case we would need a scenario where a genuine world power emerges to threaten the US, a Russia or a China. Were such a thing to happen, then the UK would become a target anyway.
    Still I would not let it stop me from asking for several times the cost of running the station per year as 'expenses', and push for guarantees on several issues.

Story can be read here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2575001.stm
    I would suggest reading through the 'See Also:' section which has some previous stories, which help place the story in context...

2. jamming

jamming Banned

Actually it would make you more a part of the shield, if in return we station an Aegis Cruiser, with "Lake Erie" Modifications around the Isles. Then you would have a mobile missile defense till you organize your own.

3. claire

claire Registered User

Don't worry Limeygit.Britain always accepts the
    requests of the US whatever they are but will ask as you
    suggest solid compensations.

4. jamming

jamming Banned

Like Belguim always accepts the requests of the EU ;)

5. claire

claire Registered User

Not really Jamming,
    They often have to bring us to the European Court to
    force us to accept

Have a great sunday:)

6. jamming

jamming Banned

Those Crazy Belgians.....If you think getting Britians cooperation is easy, they make us take so many hours of Cricket Coverage if they cooperate with us. That and the all Bagpipe Disco channel, its horrible I tell ya!

7. claire

claire Registered User

LooL.I'm sending you right away a compilation of
    Bagpipe disco specialy for you;) :happy:

8. jamming

jamming Banned

You probably got it from Ian, the sick bum. He would fit right in here if he had time.