1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Senator Murray supports Bin Laden

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mike, Dec 20, 2002.

1. mike

mike mesmerized

While in Vancouver, US Senator Patty Murray, D-Wa, asked students to ponder O.B.L.:
    http://www.columbian.com/12192002/clark_co/345147.html

"We've got to ask, why is this man (Osama bin Laden) so popular around the world?," said Murray, who faces re-election in 2004. "Why are people so supportive of him in many countries that are riddled with poverty?

"He's been out in these countries for decades, building schools, building roads, building infrastructure, building day care facilities, building health care facilities, and the people are extremely grateful. We haven't done that.

"How would they look at us today if we had been there helping them with some of that rather than just being the people who are going to bomb in Iraq and go to Afghanistan?"

Also to note:

" Murray was in the minority when the Senate voted 77-23 in October to give President Bush authority to use military force in confronting Saddam Hussein."

2. jamming

jamming Banned

This guy has no idea, we helped to rebuild several schools that I am aware of in Afghanistan and teaching the kids to play baseball around Kandhar.

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Ms. Murray is a joke.

SM

4. mike

mike mesmerized

Facing re-election in '04? When this hits mainstream media, she can forget-oh wait, she is a hard-headed liberal democrat-expect to hear a lot of BS campaigning from her.

5. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Joke is not quite the word I would use. Not sure what the word is, but joke is definitely not it. This from an elected official about someone who plotted and carried out a massive attack on this Nation?

6. jamming

jamming Banned

Hmm....I wonder if I am a sexist for assuming it was a man who was a Senator or a Great Guy because I thought a Woman wouldn't be that ignorant of what we are doing in Afghanistan?

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

With friends like her, the Democrats don't need any enemies.

Allene

8. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Now hold on a sec, guys - did she flat out say "I SUPPORT OBL - GO OSAMA, YAY!"???

No, I think her statement is being taken out of context.

When the question "Why would anyone support OBL?? He's a crazed luny!!" comes up, you have to give reasons - and she's not incorrect in saying that OBL is supported by his 'fans' because of what he's done. He has done all those things - in order to gain support. You see, OBL is working the largest population of the world - the poor. Give the poor and uneducated people what they want, and they'll follow you to the ends of the earth. That's not an incorrect statement - which is what she was making.

What was an incorrect statement on her part is "the US hasn't done those things"... Yes we have. We've sent millions upon millions of dollars in AID to Afghanistan pre-911 attacks - we handed that money over to The Taliban - who in turn used it to transform soccor stadiums to execution coliseums. Post 911, we gave Pakistan several million dollars in foreign aide, in exchange for use of their country to launch our attacks into Afghanistan to bomb The Taliban and Al Queda out of their little holes. We've since sent more money and more resources (including military) to help rebuild Afghanistan, which was destroyed at the hands of The Taliban - with the very same money we handed them years before in order to help their people.

I think if anything, this woman should lose her re-election because she doesn't know all the facts - either that, or she chooses to ignore them because she has her own agenda. She is not working for the betterment of her country, that's for damn sure.

9. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I'm going to have to agree with Misu. OBL as evil as he is, did do some good things for some people. However we can't say we haven't done our fair share of setting stuff up either.

10. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

Us common folks tend to forget (or not realize) that this country GIVES billions of our tax $$ to countrys, throughout the world, every year. (I will admit that I'm not convinced that all of this money is wisely spent.)

But, this'Senator' should certainly be aware of this country's contribution to the 'world'. For her to say "We haven't done that", is nonsense.
    OBL's contribution surely pales, when compared to what we spend.

I really have no idea what this Senator is trying to achieve with such statements.

I, for one, hope the folks in Wa no longer deem her a fit representative of their State in Congress. They're the only ones that can do anything about it.

Regards,

11. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Lenin, Stalin, Hitler, did nice things for the people as well.

12. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Did Trent Lott come right out and say, "<i>Hang the niggers!</i>"?

13. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Interesting point, Haywire. Though he did not flat out say that, what he did say was pretty close. He refferred to them as 'problems'.

Plus, his voting history speaks for itself.

I really do think this woman's statement was taken out of context. Could it be backlash because she was in the minority for attacking Afghanistan?

14. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

even out of context, "we haven't done that" and "rather than just being people..." is inexcusable and there is no context in which that could be acceptable.

15. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Mussolini made the trains run on time. Hey, nobody's perfect.

16. -Ken

-Ken Guest

I haven't read the full text of her speech but it is my guess she was trying to put a reason on why this guy is loved by so many people. I think she did it poorly and as someone who has great experience in saying things badly, I think she might have a point.

While her facts might be wrong, it is pretty easy to believe Osama Bin Laden has popular support from a large number of people in several countries. Why would anyone have trouble conceding that point? I guess we really need to understand why he has such support and address that problem effectively. We are a country of well under 300,000,000 people. The Islamic population exceeds 1,500,000,000 people. That means if one in five Muslims support Bin Laden over the United States, we are outnumbered (as far as that case goes).

In case there is any doubt, I am not Pro Bin Laden and have no intention of running for office in 2004.

17. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Call Sixty Minutes! We agree, at least on the part above.

Understanding why he has support and how much support is more important than anyone has expressed in any of the hundreds of outstanding posts I've seen here at GA.

18. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

The assumption that bin Laden has done a lot for peoples around the world is largely up to challenge. He did do some building of infrastructure in Somalia...all the while inciting the people he was 'helping'. He did very little if any of this in Afghanistan.

What he has done mostly is to incite hatred against the 'Great Satan'.

Obviously, if we can 'understand' why they believe him, it should make it easier to identify just who these supporters are, with the end result being that it makes it much easier to kill them ;)

19. IamZed

IamZed ...

I just had an odd thought. If he is seen as someone that has done great good for his people and we kill him, will he become a martyr? I would have thought 9-11 would kind of prevent that. Then I thought once more.
    Certainly his followers will always see him as so. That is not what I am concerned over. He is a threat to the entire region. That would cause many to oppose him while he is alive
    But after?
    Will his popularity spread beyond his present followers after he is no longer a threat to them?

20. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Zed,

That should be a concern for any thinking individual.