1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Money to be in Color

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Dec 3, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

The Bureau of Printing and Engraving has decided that the money in your pocket is boring, so starting next year, <a href="http://www.msnbc.com/news/841864.asp?cp1=1">it will add color to the $20 bill, followed by the $50 and $100</a>.

The designs won't be announced until spring, and the rollout will start next fall. One change that isn't coming: GlobalAffairs Money, which has been introduced in Mexico and elsewhere, but which U.S. authorities have decided against.

(Sorry, I tried)

2. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

great. just as we all get used to these fugly bills they gave us a few years ago......

3. ethics

Could be worse. We can have pretty rubles or Pesos with little worth. ;)

4. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Doesn't matter much to me as I rarely carry cash anyway.

5. limeygit

limeygit Assume Sarcasm...

Get over it Americans, having money that isn't all the same color and size, no matter the denomination, is a good thing. It makes life easy. Also if they make them all pretty, like in Holland, you can stare at it and giggle, while spending a long weekend in Amsterdam...

6. Valkyre

Valkyre Crazy Viking Woman

So, how long do you think it will take someone to figure out how to counterfeit them?

7. ethics

Which is the bottom line as to why they are doing this.

Not long, actually, if other currency can be used as an example.

8. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Call me stupid, but I think colored money would be cool. Why should it all be the same color? Isn't diversity a good thing? ;)

9. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Colored money and different sized bills makes a lot of sense, and it's easy to get used to. Believe me, at 3 AM in a dimly lit bar and with a blood alcohol count in excess of .2, it makes things so much simpler ;)

10. jamming

jamming Banned

We use to have Red on certain notes like silver certificates. I just hope they don't go wild like that Canadian Dollars or English Pounds. Money should not be completly different collars like Monopoly Money. I guess we are having such a literacy problem they have to color code the cash registers.

11. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I'm still waiting for money with Blue LEDs...

12. limeygit

limeygit Assume Sarcasm...

He gets it...

13. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Funny...when I was in Taiwan last August, one $20 bill got me about 200 oddly-colored bills in local currency.

Clearly, to the Taiwanese, monochrome cash is an amazing thing.

SM