1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Military Involved In Taiwan Military Exercise?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Unusual snippet from The Taipei Times:

Read all about it at US/Taiwan Military Exercises?

Wow, this is kind of a big leap...the US has generally eschewed any direct military connection with the Republic of China beyond arms sales. But this article seems to insinuate that an unknown number of US servicemen will be taking part in the Huankuang exercise. Assuming its true and the Taiwanese aren't just blowing it out of proportion, then it should have a rather deleterious effect on US-PRC relations.

SM

2. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

Assuming this is correct, I do not see the rationale for the United States agreeing to such a thing. With all that is going on in the world, is it really time to pull the PRC's tail any more than usual?

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I rather suspect--and this is just going by what I can glean from the article--the US slice of the operation is apparently centered around being able to evacuate US citizens in the event of a Chinese attack. It would make sense to hold such a drill while the ROC is practicing a wide FTX.

SM