1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US military declares right to enter Pakistan

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Advocat, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

Things heating up...
    http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/world/story/0,4386,164405,00.html

"BAGRAM AIR BASE (Afghanistan) - With US forces coming under increasing fire along the Afghan-Pakistani border, a military spokesman said that the United States reserved the right to pursue Taleban and Al-Qaeda guerillas into Pakistan.

Friday's declaration came as thousands of Islamic hard-liners rallied in Pakistan's major cities in protest against a possible war on Iraq and Pakistan's cooperation with the United States.

'We do reserve the right to go after them and pursue them and that is something that Pakistan is aware of,' said US military spokesman Major Stephen Clutter. 'In hot pursuit, we're going to chase down the bad guys."

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Well...

Tactically, it does make sense. To allow the enemy a safe zone to withdraw, reconstitute, and reattack is generally ridiculous. We tried that before in Vietnam, and it didn't work real well for us.

It's up to Pakistan to decide what's the greatest threat: harboring those who will invariably attract the ire of the US, or moving against those elements in order to preserve their sovereign integrity.

Does anyone here think that Pakistan's Lawless Quarter should be declared off limits to the ongoing campaign?

SM

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

That's a trick question.. Right? ;)

4. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Actually, I believe this statement is in response to a situation last week where our guys called in an airstrike on a Pakistani military position in Kashmir that was firing on them while in pursuit of some nasties crossing the border. I believe this has been our policy there for some time.

5. Sierra Mike

Not necessarily, though my personal take on it is that anyone who would be against pursuing our enemies wherever they might go is a bit daft.

But since we don't come from cookie-cutter societies, I can understand if others share a dissimilar viewpoint. They should be prepared to elucidate it, however.

SM

6. Sierra Mike

Oh, I agree. I also think this is an attempt to dispell any further ambiguities which might arise from future engagements in this front.

SM

7. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

My read of the original aritcle was that Pakistan had been aware of our policy for a while.

Major Clutter said the US military had the right to cross into Pakistan for some time and that 'this is done with the express consent of the Pakistani government'.

8. Sierra Mike

Yes, but it's also countered in the article that Pakistan has not expressed such consent.

Realistically, I believe they have...they just brokered a deal with Washington to be able to publically deny it, so as to keep the radicals they know are in their borders a bit more complacent, and less likely to view the Paki government as an enemy.

SM