1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Gov't admits to secret testing

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Misu, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...31/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/chemical_weapons_tests_1

"By MATT KELLEY, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - The military secretly tested sarin nerve agent in a Hawaii forest preserve in 1967, the Pentagon (news - web sites) acknowledged Thursday in the latest disclosures about Cold War-era testing of biological and chemical weapons.

Other secret tests in Hawaii in 1966 and the Panama Canal Zone in 1963 released a germ meant as a harmless stand-in for the bacteria that cause anthrax, the Defense Department said. A 1966 experiment in an undisclosed "tropical jungle type environment" involved spraying tear gas on unprotected U.S. military volunteers. "

Who wants to start taking bets that soon, we're going to hear about how the US Gov't tested out variations of the AIDS virus on unsuspecting Haitian villagers...?

We're such a great country, aren't we.... Not really - we're just the biggest turd in the bowl.

2. Domh

Domh Full Member

Feds sprayed downtown San Fran with experimental agents in the 50s, so sayeth a program I saw on TLC, my fav.

Its fucked, but not a surprise in the least.

And some of you wonder why I perk my ears up to listen to all that 'conspiracy bullshit'. Well, alot of it turns out to be true, 30 years later, doesn't it?

3. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

You know, I was thinking that when I read the article - things that normally would sound like conspiracy theories have almost always turned out to be true.

Must be some truth to it all.

4. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

" A 1966 experiment in an undisclosed "tropical jungle type environment" involved spraying tear gas on unprotected U.S. military volunteers. "

C-S is good stuff.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Misu, first of all, thank you for posting this here. With my work today being exceptionally brutal, I WANTED to do the same but just didn't have time, so thanks! :)

Secondly, I think the above is not necessary since the pill companies already went in to Africa and did all kinds of screwed up shit like give some people the real pills and some sugar telling them it will heal them.

6. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

I did a quick search to find the years involved because I was going to post about the Tuskegee experiments and the CIA's LSD "research", and ran up on quite a lot I didn't even suspect. I think you'll find the below links shocking, to say the least, perhaps even terrifying...

Secret US Human Biological Experimentation

General Resources on Experiments on Humans
    Web Pages and Databases on Bioethics and Human Experimentation

Human Experiments: A Chronology of Human Research

<small><i>Edited to fix link</small></i>

7. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

Hummm,
    Maybe my wife is right, after all.
    She's always said I've been more of a shithead since I returned from my 'tour' (63-69). (Including Hawaii & Panama)
    Damn, I hope she doesn't read this thread. She doesn't need more ammo.
    Regards,

8. Domh

Domh Full Member

If you can think of an activity, and you can think of a way to gain profit or power from that activity...

assume that somebody already thought of it, and is doing it.

Any activity that you have thought of, but find too horrifying to engage in...

assume somebody is already gaining profit or power from it.

Sure sounds like a bunch of conspiratorial nonsense, but history proves this odd thesis correct every time.

edit - typo

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Good points, Domh, and I definitely agree with you. Right about now, there's something sinister this and any other government is doing.

10. -Ken

-Ken Guest

The CIA admitted years ago (it was a 60 minutes season opener)
    they had tested bacteriological warfare in the New York subway
    system. They claimed to use a harmless virus. It managed to kill
    several people, described as old and weak.

I would have more fear of them using an insect to deliver a toxin.
    You know maybe something like the West Nile virus. Of course, if
    they were testing something like that, they would probably want
    some sort of active tracking program to see how far and how fast
    it was spreading.

Based on recent history, I can expect to be dead 20 years before
    anyone could get them to admit to it.

11. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

It would really be quite stupid and silly to pubicly announce in advance that we were going to openly test the stuff. Heck people get hysterical when you spray for fruit flys. For that matter many people get hysterical over everything. Especially if they are fed a diet of FUD and are ignorant of the subject. (Not referring to you specifically!)

I will take that bet on the AIDS test in Haiti. It won't happen. For that matter IMO the idea only exists in yours and a few others' imagination. Besides, regrettably Haiti is already overrun with AIDS and the reasons for that are well documented and well researched.

Regarding the evils of testing of agents such as sarin or any other agent associated with chemical or biologial warfare is overrated and unintentionally misrepresented. In the first place ALL substances occuring in nature are toxic to humans at a given level including man-made agents. None are toxic at a certain low level. Besides what is the point now to what was done 35 to 40 years ago. Do you suggest they are now doing similiar testing? If you have evidence please post it. I too would like to know about that.

Besides whether it is to defend against or to use against how can you understand the nature and function of any agent without testing it? (Focus on the<i> defend against part.</i>) In that context I had to laugh about the revelation in your post that said "A 1966 experiment in an undisclosed tropical jungle type environment involved spraying tear gas on unprotected U.S. military volunteers. " Number one they were volunteers. Number two it was only tear gas, and number three when I was in the service ALL troops who went through basic training were ORDERED to go into a room filled with tear gas and while in there to remove their gas masks. Standard operatating procedure. Yes you can tell I survived okay.

In conclusion, even though I don't like the idea of the tests you refer to what was the harm? Please be specific if you have some evidence of harm.

I would suggest you get some Tidy Bowl or check the rest of the world and see what they are doing before making your toilet bowl comparison.

12. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I'm going to have to say that as much as this disturbs me, it does not surprise me. Remind me never to take the subway when I go to NYC next time...:-/