1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US going nuclear on N. Korea?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by bruzzes, Dec 31, 2002.

1. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20021231/ap_on_re_as/koreas_nuclear_119
    N. Korea Accuses U.S. of Plotting War

SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea (news - web sites) accused the United States on Tuesday of planning an invasion and vowed to fight "to the last man," hours after it expelled two U.N. monitors, leaving its feared nuclear program shrouded in secrecy.
    Escalating the crisis, North Korea's ambassador to Moscow was cited by Russian news agencies as saying that because of U.S. pressure Pyongyang could not make good on its commitments under the nuclear nonproliferation treaty, which is designed to halt the spread of nuclear weapons.

<b>Ambassador Pak Ui Chun said that Washington had threatened North Korea "with a pre-emptive nuclear strike," the Interfax news agency reported.</b>

"These conditions also make it impossible for us to abide by the treaty, whose main provision bans nuclear powers from using nuclear weapons against countries that do not have them."

Meanwhile, U.S. officials said they were considering using heavy economic pressure on the communist North to give up its nuclear ambitions.

North Korea blamed Washington for raising tensions over its nuclear issue.

"The U.S. is stepping up preparations for a war against (North Korea), persistently turning aside the latter's constructive proposal for concluding a nonaggression treaty," said the North's official newspaper, Rodong Sinmun.

"If the enemy invades even an inch of the inviolable territory of (North Korea), the people's army and people of will wipe out the aggressors to the last man," the report said.

South Korea's President-elect Roh Moo-hyun raised doubts about a possible U.S. strategy to contain North Korea. He worries that pressure could backfire and trigger armed conflicts on the world's last Cold War frontier. More than two million troops are massed on both sides of the Korean border.

"I am skeptical whether so-called `tailored containment' reportedly being considered by the United States is an effective means to control or impose a surrender on North Korea," Roh told reporters.

The Koreas were divided in 1945. The 1950-53 Korean War ended in an armistice agreement, not in a peace treaty.

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Hmm...well, in my mind, it might be the only way. :)

Not so sure it would ever come to fruition, since we didn't do the same thing to Afghanistan, so...

I am curious as to the South Koreans are having such a difficult time playing nice here. It's THEIR country that's on the line.

Thankfully, their military doesn't think the same way as their political leaders. ;)

SM

3. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Yeah, we're going to invade with our 37,000+ troops against their 1.5 million. Does anyone over there in power actually read this swill before it's released? What a moronic assertion.

4. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Thank You InsAgt!

I refrained from stating that same opinion because the article was so full of BULLSHIT.

This is where a discerning eye and a functional brain comes in handy. This article and it's eye catching title is what is considered newsworthy enough to publish. It is almost as bad as the opinion of non-thinking people whose first thought is to Nuke all our enemies. It sounds so simple and patriotic to say so, but their severe lack of foresight is found wanting.

I have posted a few articles of this type that go by without discussion, always waiting for someone to see beneath my intent.
    You are the first one who saw and responded with alacrity.

5. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

You can thank Ken. His contributions to the threads of the last couple of days talking about how poorly the U.S. is viewed has me thinking about all the propaganda slop that's being foisted on the world daily. Reminds me of a good political campaign. The more they talk, the less they say.