1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Economy to Finally Get Going?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Dec 2, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

According to Stratfor it is:

Global Economy: U.S. Poised for Growth, Other Powers Will
    Struggle

Summary

The United States appears set for solid economic growth in
    December and in the first quarter of 2003, while Europe will
    backslide and Japan will continue its downward spiral. This
    disparity will funnel more trade toward the United States,
    particularly as the dollar strengthens against the yen and euro.
    Rather than derail this trend, a war with Iraq actually should
    reinforce the shift in trade flows.

2. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I'll take an economic upturn at this point :)

It most certainly has been a rough few years for my 401K that's for damn sure !

I was, and still am, a believer that *day trading* had a negative impact on the major exchanges over the last few years.

I'm definitely no expert but two years ago it seemed almost everyone in the office was trading stocks all day rather than working. That trend definitely dropped off the map over the last year.

Maybe the major downturn of the last year or so has chased the majority of the hit and run artists out of the market on margin calls?

Maybe some stability will return to the markets with their departure?

3. mikeky

mikeky Member

Evidently early sales figures indicate an increase in spending compared to this holiday period last year, so maybe that's an indication that consumers are more confident in being able to spend more compared to last year. Of course, I guess we won't know that for sure until the holiday season is over.

4. mikeky

mikeky Member

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

The NYTimes has been one of the few papers that have been predicting Doom and Gloom since Bush was elected, and hit the gas pedal after 9.11.01.

My advice is consider the source.

6. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I've read reports that retailers are baffled by current spending habits. It seems that, rather than a steady surge in holiday spending, it has been start-and-go, with increases in some sectors, declines in others, and reversals of the two.

Although overall sales may be increasing, it's doing so in a markedly different fashion, from what I've read.

Personally, this is the first year we've managed to convince the extended family that buying presents for adults is pretty much pointless, stressful, and a waste of money.

7. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

What happened? Did the wealthy give back their tax cuts? :cool: