1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Citizens Getting Raped for Broadband?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Sierra Mike, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Now, this is just killing me...

According to my pals in Japan, they get DSL that downloads up to 12MB for about 2400 yen...around $20! Panasonic/HiHo (?) offers it at that rate, and apparently, Yahoo BB is even less! :eek:

If this is true, I'm agog and aghast!

SM

2. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

*Grumble*

That's wrong. We pay double that for 1.5MB/128kbps

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Broadband is cheaper in other countries due partly to government subsidies. Even here in Canada, broadband is much cheaper than one normally pays in the US. Part of it is offset here by business rates which tend to be a lot higher than the residential rates. The rest comes from the government.

4. jamming

jamming Banned

The Perils of Free Enterprise, I would rather pay the cost then have government subsidizing it. However, how much I benefit wrong is wrong.

5. Twingo

Twingo Registered User

Time to move to Canada ?? lol ...

6. Biker

When I had cable access, I was paying around 39 dollars Canadian. Equates to less than 30 bucks US. That was 2Mb down and 360K up. Just wish there was a broadband option where I live now. Nothing to choose from out in the sticks.

7. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

12 MB Down for DSL. Damn.

8. jamming

jamming Banned

Can you go Satellite? It is Dial-up for upload but at least you get Satellite Download at Broadband Rates.

9. Biker

Ummmmmm, the two satellite choices I have here aren't that great, and not really all that fast.

No problem.. This is just a temporary situation. Next move will be back to where there's cable access once again.

10. Sierra Mike

I know...it's enough to piss off the Pope. Lemme have some of that martini, Shiny.

SM

11. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

As much as I'm for free markets, infrastructure just shouldn't be one of them. Where I live...Simi Valley/Wood Ranch...broadband wasn't available at all. SBC/Pacbell only made it available in the last year because they thought the cable company was about to do it. Had that not been the case, I'd still be plunkin' away on dialup.

Free markets work when you have choices, and they suck when there's no choice available...or the choice is too extreme. I never understood the decision to fiber the inner city when the prospects of subscribers was so low, while leaving the upper and upper middle classes as the last choice when the subscribership was likely to be overwhelming.

12. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Coot, you totally nailed my question - broadband was available in inner cities WAYYYY before it was available in the suburbs - and many places STILL don't have it.

I think it was all planned out - a lot of people are paying 70-90 bucks for 1.5/256 dsl - my sister in law is currently paying 80 bucks for DSL, and her dsl is 1.5/128!! And those of us who pay 45/month for cable are being told we should be thankful that they don't increase our rates to DSL prices.

ANd not only are rates high, there are talks of putting in download caps as well! You can only download 3 gigs a month with certain ISP's - wtf?!?! Tiered pricing.... shoot me now.

13. jamming

jamming Banned

1.5/384 Earthlink in Florida 49.95$/month + lots of extras

14. Wacko

Wacko Helllllooo Nurrrse

I have 1.5/128 Pacbell/Yahoo DSL, and pay $49.95 per month. I can't even get the 1.5/256 unless I let them shut off my line for a week, or two. Sucks!

15. Sierra Mike

What extras? Skimpily-clad vixens making service calls?

SM

16. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

Broadband does seem to be cheaper in Canada; I'm paying $100 a month ($66 US) for basic commercial access; 4 megs / 750 k, 30 gigs transfer, server authorized, e-comm mail service, etc.

17. Paladin

Paladin Have Gun -- Will Travel

608/128 (actual) ADSL at 20,400 feet for $29.95/mo.

18. Biker

I hate you...

Can't wait to get my Cogeco service back....

19. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

Hey, that's who I'm with! :thumbsup:

20. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

At that distance, I'm impressed. I've heard of certain ADSL platforms being able to go out to 30,000' by lowering the frequency but did not know they were widely deployed.