1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unseaworthy and full of Oil

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ditch, Dec 1, 2002.

1. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

What can be done to stop this happening so often. Ships that are single hull rust buckets such as this one was, legally transport oil around the world. When accidents like this disaster happen the same questions are asked but nothing changes. The law of the sea allows unseaworthy vessels to be registered in countries whose laws are slack enough to permit it. If these hulks were cars they wouldn't be allowed on the road in most countries. The regulations have to be tightened if this sort of environmental disaster is to stop.

2. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

Well gee, if we piped our oil from Alaska, we wouldn't have to ship it from the Middle East.

3. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Alaska provides approximately 17-20% of the oil we use, PhyreFox, around a million gallons per day. But we are an ever hungry country, and the US is running out of places to obtain her own oil within her borders. Many of the richest stores we had have either been exhausted or deemed too expensive to harvest.

I have seen statistics that estimate that although we are only 4% of the world's population, we use over 25% of the world's annual production. Energy-efficiency is becoming more and more vital... you may be interested in some of the information <u>here</u>.

On a related note, with the prospect of Russia and the US becoming "friends", of course the talk has turned to the US obtaining <i>her</i> oil. More <u>here</u> and <u>here</u>.

Back on topic, ditch, these disasters will continue until people simply refuse to even accept oil from vessels registered in those countries. It's the only way I see that any difference can be made... :(

4. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Yes thats probably the case Sunriser. There is another such vessel carrying oil headed for Rotterdam that is making the news here at the moment.
    I would like to find out more about the international laws in cases like this. I'm sure with aircraft on international routes the rules would prevent from unsafe aircraft from taking off. I hear some pretty scary tales about some domestic airlines though in Russia for example.