1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Universal Constant of Pizza

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Andy, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

We haven't had something good to argue about here recently, so let me toss this out here. ;)

I stumbled across this on Twitter the other day, and the ensuing discussion was pure hilarity.

Magical Pizza.jpg

Keep in mind, the question posed here is HOW IT IT POSSIBLE?

Alleged "Teacher" grades kid's answer given of a POSSIBILITY of how it could be as wrong because in their mind, it is not possible, along with a few self-professed "scientists" in the ensuing discussion, once who had zero problem assuming that all pizzas are created equal, but when asked if Pizza was changed to Dinosaur (he claimed to be a paleontologist, so I went with it) all of a sudden he had to pump the brakes because there wasn't enough data here to assume anything in regards to sizes of any hypothetical Dinosaurs.. then proceeded to just stand firm and call the entire question "asked wrong" so it would fit his view of what it should have been asking all along while enforcing the "Teacher" was right.

My thoughts on this were as follows,

"Because 5/6 of Rhode Island is totally larger than 4/6 of Alaska"

To that, if we keep the same question...

Marty __X__ 4/6 of his __Y___
    Luis __X__ 5/6 of his ___Y__.
    Marty __X__ more of his _Y__ than Luis.
    HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

Some reasonable substitutions....

X= Drove Y= State
    X= Mowed Y= Lawn
    X= Swam Y= Lake
    X= Cut Y= Hair
    etc..

Does it make the "Teacher's" grading any more right?

I gotta admit one thing, the kid that answered this belongs in a think tank if this is what our modern day academia can come up with in how we need to approach this "new math" crap.

2. rockotman

rockotman Blown on the steel breeze

Typical academe... you can't question their reasoning. It only signifies that you can't possibly understand such lofty thoughts as they possess.

#AllDinosaursMatter
    #NoPizzaLeftBehind

Reminds me of the video where the guy is arguing with his girlfriend about how many slices are she would want in her large pizza. She is okay if the large pizza is cut into 8 pieces, but there is no way that she could finish the large pizza if it was cut into 12 pieces.

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Crazy! I'm not a math person, and I mercifully escaped "new math," but academics tend to overthink things. We cannot answer that riddle until we know the size of each of the pizzas.

4. rockotman

rockotman Blown on the steel breeze

It is not a riddle. The question is "how is it possible". The student provided an answer that presents a scenario is which it is possible. If Luis's pizza is 100 square inches, and he ate 5/6th of it, he ate 100*5/6 square inches, or 83.33 square inches. If Marty's pizza is bigger, say 200 square inches, and he ate 4/6th of it, he ate 200*4/6 square inches, or 133.33 square inches. Marty ate more pizza.

The teacher is just an idiot.

5. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Pizza is the perfect food. It has something from all five food groups.

The crust is your Breads and Cereals.
    The sauce and vegetables fulfill the Veggies group.
    The cheese covers the Dairy group.
    The pepperoni, sausage, et. al. is your Meats and Proteins

...and the Magic Mushrooms is your Pharmaceuticals.