1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Universal Conscription

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ShinyTop, Dec 29, 2002.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Separated this from the other thread because I would like the thoughts of my fellow posters on a different Universal Conscription idea.

I am not pretending it is mine. It is from Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein. The basic concept is all citizens are allowed to serve the nation. If not qualified for the military or if you have moral reasons for not serving in the military there would be other ways to serve. But here is the kicker. You could not vote or run for office if you had not served. Oh, you could have all the other benefits of citizenship but voting and holding office would be restricted to those who had served.

Alternate service could be in Vista or Peace Corps like services or in renovating inner cities. Pay would be low and discipline required,

It has a certain appeal to me but I would like to hear what you think.

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

The idea has a bit of merit. But one could also look at voting or running for office as serving your country as well. In fact, I would say voting is probably by far the greatest service one could do for their country.

Unfortunately (and I have a feeling this is gonna whip this thing WAY off topic), running for office can only be done by the rich. I'm not sure that making mandatory service of some type is the answer. I think sweeping campaign reforms is a better idea.

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Yes, YEs YES! Note my sig.

4. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Actually no Biker, I like Heinlein's philosophy better. Personally, I'd be all for forced service upon graduation from High School, be it military, forest service, social services, teaching assistant...ad infinitum; with more rights granted to persons who chose the riskier course of action. This is my own estimation, but I don't think society is nearly as well served when higher education is served up to post adolescents right out of high school with no practical life skills and, generally speaking, little self imposed discipline. Tying voting rights into it, would be a huge plus, but more difficult to have enacted.

5. Biker

Would having two classes of citizens be in direct conflict with the Constitution?

6. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Okay, if I said more privileges, would that have satisfied your question? For example, substantially more tax deductions to those who chose the riskier choice of service.

7. jamming

jamming Banned

Well I saw the other thread and said something about a 1 year service, 3 months training, 9 months service. Then offer them a chance to stay in for advance training, if they like it.

8. Biker

I don't know. Still smells like a "draft" and speaking from experience, the individual qualities you'd see in the service would go down hill fairly quickly.

9. jamming

jamming Banned

It is a draft with a reason and you don't integrate them, you set them aside in their own little branches. This is a pool that you draw the best from if you need trained replacements, to go to advance training then to the war. Conscripts are not elite troops but they they can perform well when the need is there and they have the basic skill set.