1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UN steps up hunt for al-Qaeda

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Advocat, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

This makes me want to ask the UN, "What are you going to do now you weren't doing before?!"

UN steps up hunt for al-Qaeda
    "The UN Security Council has voted unanimously to extend and improve efforts to control the remnants of Afghanistan's former Taleban government and the al-Qaeda network of Osama Bin Laden. The resolution aims to tighten monitoring procedures and keep sanctions in place. It indicates the seriousness the UN attaches to the potential threat from these organisations - despite the defeat of the Taleban in Afghanistan and the ongoing action against al-Qaeda. "

Oh, and just for fun...
    And now, see Rambo fight bin Laden
    " Good news for Rambo fans. After years of pause, Rambo is back and this time he is gunning the terror chief Osama bin Laden. Its a return of Hollywood star Sylvester Stallone as a warrior hero in Rambo-IV, featuring action in Afghanistan and battles with the Taliban. The film, scripted by Stallone himself, is expected to hit the cinemas next year. A movie insider was quoted by the SUN as saying, The original story had Rambo killing bin Laden single-handed, but even Sly thought that was beyond the imagination. Instead he will be the brains behind bin Ladens downfall. "

All I can say is "DUH!" :haha:

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

**GAG**

Oh.. And as for the UN???? How can such an ineffective organization be expected to have any teeth to any edict?

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Talent would have been stretching it. "Brains" behind anything would be stretching it. He was typecast in Rocky and I quit watching his movies several years ago.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Advocat, thanks for the stories.

I am always disappointed with stories regarding the UN. They could do SO MUCH and yet the behemoth of a politico organization like this is very inneffectual for its size.

5. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Nothing could ever surprise me about the UN.

Rambo movies are interesting in the sense that the first in the series, the 1982 film "First Blood" was excellent with an adult main theme or storyline about the character but for entertainment value AA thrown in. It was a vastly underrated film. Stallone's performance was strong and one particular scene is highly regarded within acting circles as brilliant.

The Rambo films that followed were simply cartoonish commercial ventures. Each one worse than its predecessor. (Nothing cartoonish about the revenue they generated though.)

As for geting bin Laden in the upcoming film, that would be a better theme for a "Naked Gun" film.

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Not to go OT but was the scene with Richard Crema (who died yesterday btw) when Stallone breaks down and tells everyone what it's all about?

7. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Sure...when John Rambo basically short circuits and gives himself up...such a sad scene... :cry:

SM

8. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Isn't it amusing - and sort of sad at the same time - that hollywood is going to provide us a fantasy, headed by our number 1 superhero Rambo, and "kill" Bin Laden? Since we couldn't really kill him (there's no proof that we did or didn't - we just don't know), hollywood is going to provide a sense of closure for us??

Needless to say, this isn't a movie that'll be seeing. Ever.

9. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Yes, especially since the "industry" was generally against our involment over there. Leave it to them to turn a profit out the entire situation.

10. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I feel so much safer knowing that the French and the Libyans are going to be on the job in Afghanistan. Phew! I was worried there for a while.:rolleyes:

11. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Are we at war with terrorism or the French?

12. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Well, I don't think any military involvement against the French could be called a "war." It might qualify as child-beating, however.

SM

13. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

rofl child beating. Ain't that the truth :p