1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UN Approves US/Brit Resolution on Iraq

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Nov 8, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

The Security Council unanimously approved a tough new Iraq resolution Friday, forcing Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) to disarm or face "serious consequences" that would almost certainly mean war.

The vote came after eight weeks of tumultous negotiations and was seen as a victory for the United States, which drafted the resolution together with Britain.

The broad support sends a strong message to Baghdad that the Security Council divided for years over Iraq expects full compliance with all U.N. resolutions.

Very big and good news

I'd like to hear criticism from Liberal camps. How can you NOT be happy?

2. Domh

Domh Full Member

OK - Now lets see if the Russkies can get their coup plot going.

NOW the game is afoot!

3. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

I guess I'm just confused, folks. Just how is this supposed to be any different that what was already in place? I realize that this is now a unanimous decision, and expands the areas that inspectors have access to, among other things. But just why does anybody think Hussein is going to do an about-face and allow anything more than he has since he was ordered to allow inspections over a decade ago?

4. ethics

Because this time the US has put in a resolution to back the inspectors with country's force, not paper tigers that the original inspectors received.

This does a few things.

It certainly shows Saddam that not only is United States undivided --as the recent elections saw--about Iraq but that the UN voted unanimously towards the same type of a backed force should Saddam pull another blanket.

5. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

OK, that makes sense. But I'm quite pessimistic about that madman allowing himself to be disarmed. After all, that is one of the major ways he controls his own people.

Guess it's a "wait and see" thing now; and prepare for what will have to be done. :(

That jackass is a walking, talking advertisement for post-natal abortion...

6. ethics

In all honesty, I hope Perry's coup works.

7. Domh

Domh Full Member

methinks things are going to get interesting on cnn within a few days.

methinks, too, that this aint gonna be purty.

:(

8. Omar

Omar Registered User

Saddam's game has been this outcome from the start. Negative attention is better than none and when his people see their little country on top of the world news, they know that they are more important than most others.