1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ukraine Crisis

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Mar 3, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I can't believe how many people asked me about it. Yes, I may have some insight but am no expert... But then I started listening to CNN and other sources and HAD to put something out there.

Copzilla, SixofNine and jimeez like this.
  2. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I was waiting for this. Thank you.
    ethics likes this.
  3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks for writing all that, Leon. It's a great article and very helpful for people like me whose knowledge doesn't get far beyond the early 20th century there. Slightly off topic, but in this geographical area, we saw a Polish movie called In Darkness the other night. It took place in Lviv/Lvov when it was part of Poland. We felt like we'd been run over by a truck afterward.
    ethics likes this.
  4. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Good stuff!
    ethics likes this.
  5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

The amount of total BS surrounding this entire thing is astounding. Not only in the failure to get the basic history correct, but the rumors that the uninformed are delighting in perpetuating.

When this all started to go down, there were actually some who believed that a Russian/Chinese partnership was imminent and whatever would we do? Seriously. I had to get blunt and tell them they knew nothing and to please do some basic history reading before claiming some alliance based on conjecture and ignorance.
  6. rockotman

rockotman Blown on the steel breeze

Interesting. I certainly did not realize the complete history. And you certainly won't hear in on our country's over-hyped media machine.
    ethics likes this.
  7. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

8. Biker

But they didn't. They tried to apply current answers to a failed premise that the country was unified to begin with. That's the biggest beef I have with all these attempts to explain what's going on.
  9. Greg

Greg Full Member

Putin is playing chess, Obama is playing marbles. Seriously, Obama is acting like he was a community organizer who got elected as freshman Senator then got elected to President, by I don't know what kind of stupidity.

Just how does being a community organizer prepare you to deal with an ex-KGB agent now ruler of a major world power?

Obama is fulfilling all my expectations.

Seriously, this is wicked. Putin has Europe by the balls (natural gas). We can't fuck with him militarily because that would start a war. Only way I see out for America is to fuck with Russia's currency. RU's economy and currency is going south, and we can manipulate things to make it go further south if we want.
  10. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Obama is too busy bashing Israel.
  11. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Putin's trump card is indeed the supply of Natural Gas to Europe, which effectively neuters Europe/NATO from doing anything. Something to think about when discussions of Keystone XL come up
  12. Greg

Greg Full Member

The environmental consequences of constructing the Keystone pipeline are much more devastating to politically correct liberals than any financial or political benefit to the US...

But... It appears that some/many/several EU countries have decided to back out of treaties or agreements with RU to buy their natural gas from RU, while at the same time apparently the US is tearing down a few of the roadblocks to allow the US to supply EU with US produced natural gas.

Sorry, I have no quotes, I heard this Friday on the AM radio as I crossed the desert between Phoenix and Los Angeles on Friday. Not any situation where I could take notes.

This evening I'm hearing vague reports that RU may have crossed the (new, non Crimean) borders into Ukraine to seize more assets. I hope that was some mistaken interpretation of mine that turns out to be erroneous.
  13. dsl987

dsl987 Member

The US is not currently capable of supplying the EU with natural gas and will not be for at least another year. Some LNG plants are currently under construction while others have only just received their permits and will take a long time to build. Even if we complete the export terminals the price of LNG will be a lot higher than gas supplied from Russia by pipeline.
  14. Biker

Not if Obama gives it away. :whistle:
  15. Greg

Greg Full Member

Other news sources lead me to believe that the LNG permits are in the same queue with Tea Party IRS applications, but behind. They will be approves shortly after liberals announce a global cooling crisis affecting all of Hell, which seems quite reasonable to me considering that the laws of physics state that energy (e.g. heat) can be neither created nor destroyed, and can only be changed in form. It seems reasonable to me that if it is getting hotter on Earth it might be caused by a global cooling crisis in Hell.

So... We take a Chicago political organizer and Illinois elects him as a freshman Senator who then goes on to become elected as US President. Now he is playing with the big boys like ex-KGB/GRU agents like Putin, and we wonder why Obama is out of his element?
  16. dsl987

dsl987 Member

I think Putin is going to annex another chunk of Ukraine. He's basically seen that if he moves in and takes possession that nobody has the balls to stop him.
  17. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, I think that's what he's planning to do. And if that works, the other FSU countries should start worrying.
  18. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I am kind of wondering what various members believe are the choices?
  19. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Somebody needs to put troops on the border, that way Putin has to use force to take it, which the International community will condemn. So now it remains to be seen which country will honor their treaty with Ukraine to defend it's borders. Right now nobody seems to have the stomach for it.
  20. Allene

Allene Registered User

Which countries have a treaty with Ukraine?