1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UFO's, Politics, and Television

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Nov 26, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Veteran environmental lobbyist Edwin Rothschild has been named the director of a new organization called <a href="http://www.freedomofinfo.org/index.html">The Coalition for Freedom of Information</a>, which hopes to acquire UFO documents and debris for scientific analysis.

The group has already issued a Freedom of Information Act(FOIA) <a href="http://www.freedomofinfo.org/news/foia.html">request</a> and offers an <a href="http://www.freedomofinfo.org/letter.html">online letter that you can e-mail to your senator demanding that the truth be told.</a> (attached at the bottom of this post also).

The effort has the support of Clinton's former chief of staff, John Podesta, who has declared: 'It is time for the government to declassify records that are more than 25 years old and to provide scientists with data that will assist in determining the real nature of this phenomenon.'

Who is funding this new organization? A citizen's group? SETI researchers?.

Nope, it's the <a href="http://www.freedomofinfo.org/news/pr_01.html">Sci-Fi Channel</a>, which says in a press release that 'when credible scientists conclude that 5% to 10% of UFOs cannot be explained by natural or artificial causes, we think it is worth taking a much closer look at what is clearly a real and ubiquitous phenomenon.'

As it turns out, the Sci-Fi channel's real motives are to use the organization to increase media coverage of UFO phenomenon in anticipation of its forthcoming alien abduction series <a href="http://www.scifi.com/taken/index_flash.html">Taken.
    </a> Anyone else disagree?

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I agree with you that they are using this issue. But I also agree with the issue so I hope it helps. I am not a CT but I would like everything out in the open. Of course, a real CT will not accept anything as all. I love it. When you start out with the premise that the government always lies you can never be satisfied.

3. ethics

Yah, I am not and probably never will be a CT.

However, I must admit that you do have a point when you say, "I am not a CT but I would like everything out in the open.

You think Project Blue Book was faked?

4. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Regardless what their actual motives may be, we have a right to this information. What business is it of the government(s) to censor us from the truth - whatever it may be? Their cover-up of what happened in Roswell, NM is disturbing, to say the least. They changed their official story so many times that I can't believe anything they say about it anymore.

If we are being observed by intelligent life, I am very skeptical that so many would allow themselves to be seen cruising around the skies. I don't know what the UFO deal is, but I don't think the information should be classified. Considering my completely scientific way of looking at our universe, I find it mathematically improbable that Earth is the only place where life exists. If I had to guess, I would say there are many, many other places in our universe where life is thriving. Many of them are probably much more advanced than we are, and perhaps, just MAYBE, one or more of them have stumbled across the Jerry Springer Show of the universe which we call Earth.

Or perhaps they placed us here thousands of years ago? That would explain the missing link...hmmmm...so many possibilities. Perhaps we are part of a few thousand year long social science project? Or maybe our ancestors were placed here because Earth was an interstellar prison for people deemed too violent for other worlds? Maybe Earth is really just one big Australia in a sense?

<a HREF="http://www.rael.org">Perhaps religious figures such as Jesus, Moses, Mohammad, Buddha, etc. were nothing more than aliens who tried to increase our rate of social development?</a>

Does anyone remember the movie <i>Stargate</i>? The critics hated it, but I thought it was one of the most amazing plots ever written!

No matter what your beliefs may be, it can be fascinating to imagine all the "what if's."

5. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

When FOI requests for classified Project Blue Book files get processed, and just the military justification for not declassifying it comes back with huge blocks of blacked out text (over half the document), never mind the blacked out portions of the actual documents...my inclination is to believe that something's afoot. I can't think of any military project from the early 60's that could possibly still have much relevance to national security today.

6. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

It would seem to me that considering the minimal funding SETI recieves it is only through private interest that the truth shall ever be known, whatever that truth may be. If it is for commercial interests that research is done, so long as the research is conducted fairly and without bias I applaud that. After all, were it not for commercial interests, how many of the marvels of modern technology and medicine would we have?

-btw, I am sorta back, my life still has issues but at least I have internet access from work.

7. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I saw the special - the host was Bryant Gumble. It was actually quite interesting - and as Coot pointed out, the documents that were released were about 75% blacked out. In fact, the document they showed on the program was a release of some sort - an explanation of an explanation or some weird thing like that - and by the end of the document, all the pages were just blacked out.

I don't mean to sound Agent Mulder-ish to anyone, but I really do think something happened out there, and our government is protecting that information because they are most likely STILL extracting technology from that event.

8. Coot

The British government is going to release all of their classified UFO documents as a part of revamping its Freedom of Information Laws. Story Here.

9. ethics

For some reason I think nothing great will be revealed there. I am sure the good stuff is tucked away somewhere nice, dark, and secret.

England, as any other country, would not release anything if there was truly something to see.

10. Coot

No, nothing compelling, just a few things of minor interest. The Smoking Gun has 3 pages of the documents on their website.

11. ethics

Have you sifted through it yet? Too busy today but would love to know if there's anything new there.

12. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

What you said should be taught as one of the best reasons to be as truthful as possible.