1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Ubuntu] Finding my WiFi card

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Stiofan, May 25, 2007.

1. eakes

eakes Registered User

You can use your existing partitions. Mandriva can install over Ubuntu (it formats the partition) and will replace the Ubu boot loader with it's own.

2. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Just an update, I finally got around to working on this again.

I tried installing Mandrake, but it wouldn't recognize my CDRom drive during the install, I ditched it. Started downloading Freespire as I read one of their distro contains the licensed drivers, and while waiting noticed I had already downloaded PCLinuxOS some time ago so I burned the ISO and installed it.

It worked fine. I then looked to see my wifi card, and it was there (but no driver) so I figured I'd have to install ndiswrapper again but lo and behold on this distro it's already installed. As a matter of fact when checking the card it asked if I wanted to install driver using ndiswrapper, I said yes and it automatically installed my win driver (after I put a copy of it on the desktop) for me. So now my card sees all the networks around me. Sort of success. Only problem is that when I choose an open one (for testing) it says it's connected but no data is transferred.

That's where I'm at now. Not sure where to go with this next, but I like this distro as it allows me to log in as root or a user which is nice, everything is clean and works well except the wifi, and I can see using it once I solve that problem. It might have to do with the native driver in the kernal which doesn't work well, and I might have to blacklist it to force using the win driver. It's taking some time as I have to connect wirelessly at home, but can only get on my wired lan at work.

Just don't have time to muck around for the next few days. Hopefully by the weekend maybe. :)

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I am REALLY impressed that you are persistent on this. This is a sign of a true geek! Perseverance for the win, Stio! Kudos!