1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Ubuntu]Am I Really Learning Linux?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by jimeez, May 4, 2007.

1. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

No. I don't think so.

I was poking my head around in the other place's Linux forum. There was a post in there that got me thinking about this particular topic. Am I really learning Linux using this Ubuntu install? No sir. Not at all. Ubuntu is so streamlined and packaged, that I really don't have to learn to use many commands. I can navigate to (and use) most aps via the GUI.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. Ubuntu has given me something no other distro has...and that is an install that any dummy can operate right out of the gate. All my devices were recognized and drivers provided (with the exception of my mouse). The fact that it worked prevented me from getting frustrated and allowed me to start to use Linux rather than just install Linux.

So, I may not be learning much right now. But the fact that it works hopefully will encourage me to explore and learn for the future.
  2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Ah ha!

What's great about Ubuntu is that you have a CHOICE!

You CAN throw open a terminal and start doing shit through that, and you can and will do that. But it's not mandatory. The build is excellent without you getting down and dirty but, and I repeat, you CAN do just that.
  3. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

I am looking at using more as an everyday OS, for web browesing, email and that kind of thing.

I will still play games on XP, but I refuse to spend one more cent on MS now that I have a choice.

Eventhough I haven't even gotten the thing setup fully yet, I did impress my wife with Beryl
  4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Oooh! You got Beryl going? Awesome!
  5. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

I think this is important--you will, in fact, start doing a lot more from the command line--but you don't have to right away, and you're not disabled from functioning if you don't.

If you're the kind of person who wants to learn (and I think you are, Jim), then Ubuntu will end up leading you in that direction. If you're not, or only partially, it will lead you just as far as you want to go.
  6. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

One thing I am finding with Linux as opposed to windows is software choices are OVERWHELMING.

There are about 10 applications I can't live without.

firefox--got it
    office--- open office
    yahoo widgets--- karamba? I didn't like gddesklets
    VNC--got it
    Replay Radio---????

terminal server---I am not sure what to replace this with. I use remote desktop to connect to my computer from work. Can't install VNC on it or logmein. So I need something that I can use RD on an XP box to connect back to my linux box with.
  7. ravital

ravital Banned

I don't know the details of this yet, but might be worth a look:

8. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

I just wonder is there a VNC that would fit on a flash drive? I have a 512 that isn't doing anything?
  9. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

10. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

Thanks that will work. Now I can setup VNC server on the linux box.
  11. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

And this is exactly the type of thing Linux, or any other OS, will need to move from an also ran to a real choice for the masses. All the techy type stuff that Linux has that appeals to geeks scares the **** out of the average computer user. But an OS that is easy to use right out of the box and they basically don't even realize they are using is what they want.

Now the fact that it is giving you a good out of the box GUI and still will let you do all the under the hood stuff makes it interesting to me. Where Microsoft blew it, in my opinion, was when they started forcing use of the GUI to accomplish tasks and took away granularity of control and in some cases even removed the ability to make certain basic changes from the end user entirely.
  12. ravital

ravital Banned

You nailed it with that one. That, and having to call them for permission to move the OS from one machine to another, i.e. treating you like a suspect for buying their product, is why I never even bothered with XP at home.

For the record, I can't speak with any authority about Ubuntu, others have done it quite well, but people should know that Ubuntu - and many other distros out there - provide a usable GUI straight out of the box. I was running software and surfing the net, sending and receiving email, transferring files to and from a USB thumbdrive, and using the full graphics and sound capabilities of my hardware within minutes of installation of Mandriva Free 2007. So it's not necessarily the best, but there certainly are more than one or two distros out there that the average home user could migrate to, with not so much more pain than he had when migrating from Win2k to XP.