1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U.S. Plans Breathalyzer-Like Drug Test for Drivers

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Nov 19, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Back many months, in over yonder, myself and Copzilla got in to a heated debate regarding the legalization of Marijuana.

His admirable stance stemmed from the fact that you can't detect people using it, and when you legalize a substance like that, people will get hurt on the road by impaired drivers, or worse, get killed.

My premise was that there is something on the horizon that will have people take a "breathalyzer" type of a test and will cease to be an issue.

While I can understand why a police officer would find this issue important from that angle, is it safe to say that the issue is truly over?

2. EMIG

EMIG Yup

Ugh, copzilla - I tangled with him on the issue also.

Considering that any drug use is illegal per se won't people just decline the test and take the hit on the license?

3. ethics

Aren't the DUI rules so stringent that you can't decline the test and drive on?

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Excellent post. But I fear the subject will not be logically addressed with the agenda of our current AG.

5. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

I would hope so. I'd trust the judgment of a police officer over that of a crackhead as to whether or not said crackhead is currently high at the moment. If they refuse the drug test, bust 'em. There should be no complaint if you have nothing to hide. :)

6. EMIG

EMIG Yup

They can detain you for further questioning, but they can't force you to have a test without a warrant.

In California, you lose your license for a year if you refuse a sobriety test. It's still better than going to jail, though.

7. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

Without getting into a debate on legalizing substances that are now illegal, I found this statement from the article laughable...

Critics of America's so-called "war on drugs" said the new tests could spur an abuse of power by authorities aiming to crack down on recreational drug users.

Uhm... duh... "recreational users" are still law breakers...

BDD... :{)

8. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Recreational drug users are breaking the law... What was that writer thinking when they wrote that? duh?

9. ethics

No debate there. They lose me after that "abuse of power" statement. Breathalyzer is done for Alcohol which is legal. This test will be done on ILLEGAL (currently) drugs. I don't see their logic.

10. Pyrion

That's because their argument doesn't follow neutral logic. Their argument is biased towards the notion that the cops are the bad guys and that the government is out to get everyone.

For what, I dunno. Their tinfoil hats are blocking my mind probing attempts. ;)

11. ethics

Good point, which is why I lost them with the "abuse of power."

12. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I can see their point, tho - there is a world of difference between someone who is a recreational drug user, and a person who is a serial killer and rapist. They believe the cops should be out looking for the baddies, and that if they put the effort into looking for these baddies that they put into busting rec drug users, the world would be a better place.

What these people do not understand, though, is that recreational drug use, regardless of how 'controlled' you might think it is, is still responsible for many crimes, such as robbery, rape, assault and battery, etc. Because when people get stoned, they usually do stupid shit. Not everyone is the stereotypical stoner.

And where does it end? Say our government gives in and makes pot legal. Then all the coke heads are going to come out and demand their drug of choice become legal. So will users of X. And every other illegal drug. When will it end?

13. ethics

Ah but this is where the statistics come in.

For example, how many people get hurt by a rapist or murderer vs. people hurt with DUI?

14. Pyrion

They're doing that already. They're using alcohol and cigarettes as examples of addictive substances being made legal. It's not going to end, until either everything is legalized *shudder* or until some new fad comes along that beats the crap out of drugs, cigarettes, AND alcohol, that is legalized.