1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U.N. weapons inspectors find 11 empty chemical warheads in "excellent condition"

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by btdude, Jan 16, 2003.

1. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

It does seem as though the whole Blix line has changed in the last few days. From give them more time, to here we go, we now have the evidence. This can be moved as you see fit.

2. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

BT, do you have a link to the story?

3. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Done deal then. The world will gasp in surprise?

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Not me...after the revelation they'd imported missile technology, this is pretty much just some icing on the cake.

SM

6. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

I really haven't understood the furor over the weapons inspection from day one.

From my perspective it has for over a decade been abundantly clear that:

1. Saddam has chemical weapons and will use them when he deems it appropriate.

2. He has biological weapons that I suspect Iraq would use if they felt it was to their advantage.

3. They may or may not have nuclear weapons, but probably not. However, they want them real bad and if they can't make them they will get them some other way.

4. Saddam would be happy to supply them to al Qaeda types for their use where they deemed appropriate. (Hmm, I wonder who they might use them against?)

Regarding the weapons inspectors:

They are just part of a political shell game. Hell, how do you expect a couple of hundred guys to find the stuff even if exists given they are searching a country the size of France and Saddam and company has had a decade to hide or move them?

Sending them there is a waste of time if finding weapons is ones primary and most important goal.

If the weapons inspectors found all that I have said to be true it would not be surprising and it also could be said that it would not be surprising if they found nothing.

So in essence, why the hubbub? (Rhetorical)

7. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Gee, anyone figure maybe what was found was because it was meant to be found? What are the odds of live weapons being above ground?

8. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

You know what irks me?

Looking around tv and papers I am astounded to see the reactions of many.

After weeks of mocking the claim that Iraq had anything to hide, many are now presented with good evidence that the US, UK and France were right all along. Of course, the reaction on the part of the poo-poohers is now to simply morph their weak argument in an even weaker form. Now, instead of hearing, "There's nothing to find, but the US insists there is!", now we hear, "Well, so what if they found something? That means the inspections are working, right? And the US doesn't want them to work, because then, then, well, um, then the US won't have an excuse to invade! Yeah, that's it!".

Nice try guys.

It's tough being caught with your pants down, but when that happens you should at least try to hang on to your undies.

Here's the reason Bush is very happy at this find. The US position is only strenghthened by the discovery of illegal weapons in Iraq, not weakened, for several obvious reasons:

1. Such finds, if they continue, will prove Saddam is a liar, thus weakening the credibility of the anti-war argument. Such finds would also prove that Bush was right all along, thus strengthening his position at the UN.

2. Such finds, if they continue, place the Security Council in the position of having to put up or shut up. They would then have to demand that Saddam surrender all such weapons capabilities, or face military activity. Before, the question was simply whether he had them in the first place, which allowed the UN to temporize. They won't have that option if this find is supplemented by more.

3. Finding such evidence makes war inevitable, because Saddam's power is based on possessing such weapons (as the Kurds can attest). Consequently, he will never give them up, because doing so would mean cutting his own throat politically. If more, and better, evidence is discovered by the inspections, this paints Saddam into a corner. The UN will have no choice but to demand that he surrender everything, yet that is the one order he won't be able to comply with.

He's avoided this impasse for a decade now by cleverly preventing the UN from discovering what he has. But as that ruse crumbles, he is left with very few choices.

The newly-minted leftie argument that finding evidence of what they said didn't exist is good, because it will remove a pretext the US needs for war is just moronic. It in fact proves the US right; forces the UN to back up its threats; and faces Saddam Hussein with a choice between cooperating with the UN and destroying himself in the process, or going to war. He will choose war, because that option at least provides him with a chance to inflict damage on his enemies, which is exactly how he will see it.

9. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Everytime I see the title of this thread, I keep thinking it's an ad on eBay ;)

Did anyone happen to notice that Blix softened his stand a bit after talking with Chirac this morning? Yesterday, he was stating that these were not in the declaration, today he says he isn't sure. No matter, the EU would claim there wasn't a smoking gun even if the Iraqi's shot one of the inspectors and you could see the muzzle flash and the smoke on CNN.

Given the quality of the inspectors, I have to believe that American intelligence had to tell them where to look to find these warheads.

The noose tightens and Saddam still doesn't understand that his head is already in it.

10. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

The title of the thread should be changed to 'Keystone Cops take direction from Sherlock Holmes'

From what I have read about Saadam, he only cares about his standing in Arab history, not the history of the world, a very important distinction. I've always wondered if he felt Gotterdammerung was inevitable, would he consider a mass attack of WMDs against Israel a final 'gift' to the Arab world. The Arab birth rate is so much higher than the native Israeli population, could force of biology take over the land what a force of arms could not? After whatever period of time needed for the CBW threat to lessen for a return to the land.