1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turkey Shoots Down Rusky Military Jet

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Greg, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Greg

Greg Full Member

Russia, this is your turkeys coming home to roost! [​IMG]

(link to WSJ article)

You just had to know this was coming! :) The Turks are supporting the anti-Assad Turkmen fighters, one of the factions US too sympathizes with, and in fact part of the US contention that Russia is killing our allied Syrian fighters instead of killing ISIS like we want to.

Zipping around in a fighter jet at such high speeds turns a large space into a pretty small space real quickly, and the Turks say the Russian fighters were in Turkish airspace for 17 seconds, after repeatedly being warned off via radio. (As a pilot myself, I doubt there is any way for Turks to contact the Ruskies via radio except on the international distress frequencies of 121.5 MHz and 243.0 MHz, and I doubt the Ruskies had time to be listening to distress frequencies while they were offing Turk anti-Assad Syrians.) At 300 mph (a guess) that's about a mile and a half... Depending on distance from the shooter IMO it's possible the Rusky may have been back in Syrian airspace when their nice fighter got turned into a flying pile of scrap aluminum and titanium. :)

To add insult to injury, both pilots bailed and one got machine gunned by Turks on the ground, and then when two Rusky medivac choppers came in our Syrian rebels destroyed one of them with a U.S.-made antitank missile. The article is somewhat confusing in also stating it was destroyed by mortar fire. Perhaps both were destroyed.

This presents an interesting scenario since Russia is now in opposition to both US and Turkey. It is also a quite dangerous situation since it could escalate Russia-NATO tension and increase rivalry and hostilities in Syria.

Meanwhile Obama was probably thinking this could all have been avoided if the world were more concerned about global warming. ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  2. Mashiach

Mashiach Member

The S-400 battery was deployed from Russia within two days. Good luck Erdogan!