1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuesday's Tornado

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ShinyTop, Feb 28, 2016.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

About 730 we got warning. They showed the tornado circulation on the weather radar with predicted track. The predicted track is a cone of possible routes. At the first cone we were dead center of the cone with about 45 minutes till it would reach us. Luckily as the track progressed the cone kept moving south. Finally we were out of the cone. It finally touched down and was at the surface for about 8 miles, much of it over the bay. My neighborhood never lost power. Here is the path. It first touched down about 5 miles ESE of us.

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Wow, Shiny, I'm glad you and your family are okay. I didn't know about this tornado until now. At least you got some warning. A very rare tornado hit Salt Lake City during the summer of 1999. I was at my desk in the library and wondered why the sky was turning a strange green-black color. By that time the funnel (which I couldn't see) was about six blocks away and we'd lost power. Then the funnel appeared just in time to hit a power transformer near the library. The transformer promptly exploded in a flash of pink, and the funnel climbed the side of the Wasatch Range and dissipated. All this took about 10 minutes. Only one dead and minor damage. Yours was much worse.

4. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

That was the same system that hit up north, February 23–24, 2016 tornado outbreak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia we were getting tornado watches in PA which we don't get too often and one tornado hit a few counties over, but the EBS did activate for flash floods and thunderstorms and it was a doozy. I was caught when I had to move my car and I was walking through 4 inches of water. It's pretty amazing how powerful and fast these things come.