1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[SWTOR] Trying this game again

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by Andy, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've got a few hours in so far after coming back, been a few years since I played.

Few things so far that I have experienced on my Sith Inquisitor (highest ranking char I have) :

Likes.
    Looks GREAT on my iMac using Parallels,(the cut-scene and intro movie is better looking now as well then on release) only a few tweaks to resolution and mouse speeds needed to be able to control decently.

I was able to go back to one of the starter planets in hopes of being able to what a few mobs to get a feel for the controls again, I ended up down the rabbit hole of completing a HEROIC +2 quest, before I realized I was gaining XP and the mobs can hurt back because they "dumb down" your character now on lower level worlds while keeping your same skills you learned.
    Made it more interesting to complete, that's for sure!

Dislikes.

All my companions were stipped naked, appears they have revamped them to only allow specific companions to hold only an item or 2 now, or in the case of my gunslinger, only wear cosmetic armor, the armor/items attributes don't carry over to the companion, only able to "dress them up" for looks, this lead to me having nearly a full inventory of used armor from my big ugly Sith companion fed back to me in the mail that I had to sell.

Non-subscribers can't dress up companions with the customization functions unless you pay to unlock it.
    Non-subscribers can't receive quest rewards for Heroics
    Non-subscribers can't earn rest XP in a rest area (including your ship)
    (I guess if I stick with this I will need to actually PAY again :p )

Totally confused.

The new achievement features, show I need to complete quests and kill named boss mobs I have already killed and complete quests i had already completed to get off of the starter world, can't figure out how to repeat these quests yet.

Can't figure out how to get tooltips to lock onto my mouse pointer so I can see what the skills are I am mousing over faster without having to look over at the minimap area in the corner.

No easy way to tell what older worlds I bypassed quests on and if any are available for me to go back and do without actually visiting it and running around.

2. Elspeth

Elspeth Beware the Fire Dragon

I had to start over before I was so lost. I do actually pay for this, I play it more then any game right now. You do get their cartel coins if you pay for the game.

I love what they did with the companions. You don't have to keep up on their gear along with your own. Also any of them craft anything.

3. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I at least figured out the achievement confusion, it appears to be spread out across all of your characters and some are class specific, you need to perform certain quests/kills on specific classes as some are class specific inside of locked instances.

Yeah, like I got time to level that many characters :p

4. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

It became a "like" for me that I don't have to worry about outfitting my companions. :D

5. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, they seem to be buffed up enough now you don't need to tweak them out with BiS at all times.

6. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Was trying to see how long I could go before getting suckered into subbing again... that was today. :p

I hit the coin limit for free players (350,000) so I subbed, then immediately went and spent my money anyways upgrading my armor and stuff when I hit lvl 40 :D

I kicked in for the 6 month sub, so whatever that is coming in January with the droid companion, it's mine.

I also traded in and got a new speeder that looks like the ones on Endor the Empire uses but gold/yellow, much nicer looking than the stupid flying podium I originally got.

Finally found a nice balance with my companion, using the female Jedi one now (Ashara) and have her in healbot mode, I can slice through mobs like mad now and not have to constantly recharge with seethe on my Inquisitor in DPS/ Tank mode.

My Inquisitor is still 100% dark-side and it's hilarious when I make choices just to keep him dark side how funny his reactions are since I usually play him as 'good guy" when I'm interacting with my NPCs to gain favor, the 2-faced bastard!

I'm landing on Hoth next to continue on with my storyline, still in Chapt 2 but I think I'm getting close to the end.

Subbing also unlocks all expansions past the Hutt cartel expansion that release a few years back.

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I should give this a try again, what server is everyone on? Also, is it worth digging up the old subscription? Of course that would mean subbing right off the bat. But I don't remember if we received any perks way back then.

8. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm mostly on Ebon Hawk with both Empire and republic characters, one @ 41 (Empire Sith Assassin) and the rest hovering around 18 and below, I have one Republic character on Harbinger where Els has hers but I rarely go there.

9. SixofNine

I'm on Ebon Hawk, too.

10. ethics

Also, is it worth digging up the old subscription? Of course that would mean subbing right off the bat. But I don't remember if we received any perks way back then.

11. SixofNine

You might have a buttload of cartel coins on that account. You can verify without resubscribing.

Edit: If this deal is still available, it might be worth it. It provides the latest expansion along with a three-month sub, which is more than the price.

Amazon.com: Star Wars: The Old Republic - Knights of the Fallen Empire Starter Pack - Amazon Bundle [Online Game Code]: Video Games

12. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Unless you plan on getting higher than say, lvl 44-ish, you really don't need resub right away, the only real limitation I found lower levels was the coin limit of 350,000 and certain quests you can't take the really good rewards on (that get replaced late anyways)

I tooled around for about a week as a free player and had plenty to do and it got me to learn the game all over again.

13. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yes the cartel coins are good for buying swag, perks, costume outfits, unlocking certain things (more storage, etc) I really haven't spent any of mine yet though.

ethics likes this.
  14. ethics

Thanks, will try the free one first.

15. ethics

I ended up subbing with the old account. Not sure about money or currency but slew of anniversary gifts in mailbox.

16. ethics

Forgot how much fun this game was. I hate you both right now.

17. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

How do you think I feel, I put this one aside ~3 years ago, to be fair it is far better now than it was then.

18. ethics

Hit level 17 Imp Mara. I shall see how much free time i get to play it but yeah, very fun.

19. Elspeth

Elspeth Beware the Fire Dragon

ok so where and what side should I make a character on. You know me and alts. Would love to be playing with friends again. I tend to play this in between home assignments.

20. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I may give this another look see. I wasn't impressed when it first came out, but the changes appear to be for the better.